TDP Encountered Error and Must Close Messages 4.0

Hi, I’m experiencing an abnormally high amount of error messages daily on our server machine running TDP 4.0. It’s stating that TDP has encountered an error and must close. Interestingly enough though, the logs show that the job is complete and ran successfully, so I believe its happening at the end of the script during shutdown possibly.

Below is the message details that I copy to the clipboard before closing. It seem to be the same one each time TDP shuts down for a task. Has anyone else seen anything like this on their TDP 4.0? It does keep TDP hung up on the task scheduler until I shut down the message and the scheduler thinks there’s an error even know there isn’t one.

I’d be happy to provide further information, just let me know what you may need.

Thanks!

TargetInvocationException
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Stack Trace:
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Hi Chad,

Could you please clarify what kind of “job” is concerned here? Did you mean to schedule a Toad Automation Script? As my Toad doesn’t crash when job schedule completes I must ensure it is not related to the script itself.

Hence could you please send me the following files to martin.holkovic@quest.com:

1. Automation script (.tas file)
  2. log files (Help > About > click on the “Application Data Directory” link then search for the “ExceptionTrace.log”, “Action.log”, “Toad.log”)
    Thank you,

Martin

This is a scheduled Toad Automation Script. It runs through the task scheduler in Windows. I will send the error/log information right over, as I have one that occurred today. Thank you so much for helping me with this.

Chad

We made a fix for this but since we are not getting this error we will need to see if you can confirm the fix. i will have a one-off posted for you on Monday,

This issue number is QAT-8518

That’s great to hear, I’d love to try. I did a few things that Martin mentioned including moving the actual task to 4.0 as well, but still am running into the same issue, so I’m up for anything at the moment.

Thanks!

Chad C. King

From: Debbie Peabody [mailto:bounce-Debbie_Peabody@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 9:12 PM

To: toaddatapoint@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Point - Discussion Forum] TDP Encountered Error and Must Close Messages 4.0

RE: TDP Encountered Error and Must Close Messages 4.0

Reply by Debbie Peabody

We made a fix for this but since we are not getting this error we will need to see if you can confirm the fix. i will have a one-off posted for you on Monday,

This issue number is QAT-8518

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad Data Point Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad Data Point - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or legally privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

The fix we made is on the assumption that your tasks are too tightly schedule and that the app is erroring because one app is closing during the time the other is starting. You could experiment with scheduling your jobs a little farther apart.

Debbie,

We are getting into just a high demand of scheduling tasks very closely together and there’s many possibilities that tasks aren’t finished and could be ending by the time another task is already up and started.

As an IT group, our run times of a lot of our high priority tasks are during a specific maintenance window at night, so I can see this even get worse and we’re hoping TDP can accomplish running together and while other tasks finish/start, etc without problem.

Hope this definitely either works, or certainly helps knowing we will continue to have this situation.

Just let me know when available, I’d love to experiment more.

Thanks

Chad C. King

Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 4:15 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Point - Discussion Forum] TDP Encountered Error and Must Close Messages 4.0

Reply by Debbie Peabody

The fix we made is on the assumption that your tasks are too tightly schedule and that the app is erroring because one app is closing during the time the other is starting. You could experiment with scheduling your jobs a little farther apart.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or legally privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

Try this one-off fix and see if it resolves things. If so we can include in the TDP 4.0.1 patch.

http://community-downloads.quest.com/toadsoft/tda/ToadDataPoint_pro_4.0.1.topic-ToadWorldPivotAndConnFix-QAT-8501.3.zip

Thanks Debbie,

Downloading and will try it over the next few days and let you know how it goes.

Chad C. King

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 12:41 PM

Reply by Debbie Peabody

Try this one-off fix and see if it resolves things. If so we can include in the TDP 4.0.1 patch.

http://community-downloads.quest.com/toadsoft/tda/ToadDataPoint_pro_4.0.1.topic-ToadWorldPivotAndConnFix-QAT-8501.3.zip

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Debbie,

I wanted to send a response regarding this previous post because I find it interesting that we’ve installed 4.1 and this “Toad Encountered and Error and Must Close Message” is starting to rear its ugly head again. Its specific to automated tasks that run through the task scheduler. The patch fix that you provided with the 4.0.1 did seem to help aid this issue quite a bit and I really don’t recall running into it at all after the install of the patch. But now, it seems to have returned with the installation of 4.1 64 bit quite frequently. I guess the question is, is do you think this patch fix is included in the 4.1 64 bit OS product?

If so, what can I provide to help with the research of this issue? I’m going to add the copied shut down messages themselves that I received this morning for reference.

Thanks!

Chad
TDP_Close_Message_012317_1.zip (2.12 KB)

That error stack doesn’t look familiar nor is it related to what we were working on before. How did you capture that stack? It doesn’t look like it came from a scheduled task but a pop-up.

I’d have to say that not all ugly heads are the same. Some are uglier…

Let me show the error stack to the Sybase developers and see what they have to say.

What connection type are you using and how did you capture this error?

Hello,

I checked the error stack and to me it seems you have some problem with privileges to your temp folder (C:\Users<USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Temp).

Could you please check if your ExceptionTrace.log file (Help -> About -> Application Data Directory) contains something like this:

Sybase.Data.AseClient.AseException: Could not load C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\Sybase.AdoNet4.AseClient.64bits.16.0.2.0\msvcr110.dll

If yes please try to check your access privileges. See the following article:

https://support.quest.com/toad-data-point/kb/154127

Hope this helps.

Libor

Hi Debbie,

I’ve seen yours and Libor’s responses. I appreciate you helping me with this. I do agree regarding the different issue especially in different versions, which is why I created a new forum posting specific to this. Regarding Ligor’s response, I absolutely got the same message. Problem is though, is that I’ve checked all the privileges and I have full control over all of the temp folders and dll files listed.

It is tasks running through the task scheduler, but unlike errors that come back via emails when the error occurs and the process just shutting down, this does actually create a pop up error that I have to shut down before the task can be ended. Therefore, I captured the stack from the pop up that occurred. The connection type that I have for the errors that I’ve been getting is I-Series ODBC.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

is the scheduler running on your pc? Or is it on remote pc? is it running under your account or system?

It’s a virtual server, so I am remoting to the machine. I do log in with an account to the server and the software is using the same account for folder access, etc.

Hi Chad,

I still think this must be a problem with privileges. Are you able to start TDP manually? If yes then there must be something different with user account running TDP from the task scheduler.

I would suggest you to try to delete the folder C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\Sybase.AdoNet4.AseClient.64bits.16.0.2.0 (or rename it) and let the TDP started from scheduler to re-create it after start.

If it successfully creates the folder hopefully it will be also able to use the DLLs. But if it doesn’t create the folder then there must be some access rights limitation.

Libor

Hi Libor,

I can run TDP manually from the task scheduler just fine. In fact, when this prompt comes up about it having to close because of the error, I usually hit OK, then manually run that task through task scheduler again and it runs fine.

Regarding your suggestion, I did rename that file and then reran a task and let it recreate a new folder as of today. It successfully did this, so hopefully that may work. I’ll keep my fingers crossed :slight_smile:

I’ll watch this throughout the next few days and see how it goes and will report the findings.

Thanks!

Chad

Hi Libor,

After the change this weekend, I did encounter more errors, which says to me that this change did not resolve the problem.

There is one thing change though that I decided to make, which has helped significantly. Basically, I realized that the tasks that were getting this shut down message had other toad tasks running and starting at the exact same time. Therefore, I decided to move the start times up a few minutes to ensure nothing started exactly the same. At this point, I’ve seen this issue only once more on a task that runs every hour. I’m going to keep looking into this one, as it’s hour may run into another time at some point.

I’m not saying this fixes it, but it seems like it sure helps.

With that said though, I realize spacing the tasks out a few minutes is probably always helpful, but should this still be an issue with the toad data point application? I understand it makes these temp files when the task is started and is running, but is there an issue somewhere that maybe needs looked at, regarding how maybe these tasks are causing possible issues with two tasks starting at the same time, maybe trying to access the same temp file instead of its own unique set of files?

I don’t know how this process works, but I’d think that the application should be able to support tasks running at the same time regardless, simply because of some end users may need this type of availability with many so many tasks needing ran at a certain time.

Just wanted to get your thoughts and suggestions on this.

Thanks!

Chad

Hi Chad,

Thank you for your comments. Now I think I know what might be causing this. I’ve created QAT-9854 to investigate the problem deeper.

I’ll let you know as soon as I find some solution.

Libor

We will work on this fix next week and give you a one-off to try the fix by the end of the week.