Toad World® Forums

A few issues with new Beta

Greetings again Vladka & Team.

First off, I’m LOVING the new beta. The new layout is immensely easier to use and the SQL Preview tab now showing up in the Stored Procedure editor is VERY HELPFUL. It allows me to make sure I have all the pieces together properly for the code that is generated without having to dig deep into the generated SQL file. Thanks for that! I did have a couple things I wanted to share after working on the new beta yesterday.

Issues:

1. When I add a new stored procedure, give it a name, and click Apply, the physical model explorer does not refresh it’s sort order (set to by name) automatically. The re-sort occurs after I select the “Sort By Name” option again. I don’t know if this is a bug or just the standard way the Physical Model Explorer is designed to function.

2. I like the new “collapse/expand” items that show up in the SQL Preview. However, I’m not quite sure how SQL Preview is grouping is setup to expand collapse tabs. Is this working properly? I attached a screenshot where the + and - seem to be in odd places.

3. What does the Icon on the SQL Preview tab of the Stored Procedure editor do? I didn’t see a tooltip or a message when I clicked on it.

Suggestions:

1. Since the docked Physical Model Explorer is the new “default” view, can allow a double click on the section name (Procedures, Entities, etc.) and have it bring up the dialog window, similar to a Right-Click -> Edit?

2. Have you ever thought about support SQLite as a generator model. It is actually quite simple since it is ANSI92 compliant and doesn’t do stored procedures or much. Since there aren’t any robust tools out there I’ve found for managing SQLite databases, having TOAD generate an initial schema would really help in complex situations.

Bugs:

1. After making a few stored procedure modifications, I clicked the save button and then the Generate Script button. I got a TDM exception, shown in screenshot. After clicking OK. I clicked the generate button again and things worked just fine. Not sure if it is isolated or not, but I wanted to mention it.

All in all things are getting better and better. Keep up the awesome work guys, you have a great product here!
Font Control _003.png

Hello Dillie-O,

Happy to hear that you like our latest Beta. Thanks also for your feedback! :slight_smile:

Issues:

1. Thanks for this bug notification. We will fix it. CR # 43 410.
  2. Concerning the collapse/expand items in SQL Preview, some changes will be made as some fixes are necessary. (Already entered under CR # 38 985 and 38 492).
  3. Thanks for the notification that the tooltip is missing! We will fix it. CR # 43 411.
    The icon should refresh the SQL code on the SQL Preview tab. E.g. when you change User/Schema via the Procedure Properties dialog. However, I can see, it’s refreshed automatically now. I’ve asked my colleagues - again, some changes will be made here in the future. In any case, the button should and will work for refreshing the code after you make a change.

Suggestions:

1. Thanks for this good suggestion. We will deal with it. CR # 43 415.
  2. Thanks. We will consider it. CR # 43 418.

Bugs:

1. Unfortunately, I failed to simulate the problem. Nevertheless, I’ve forwarded it to our testers to verify it. CR # 43 419.

Dillie-O, thanks again for your great co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hello Dillie-O,

Let me go back to this issue:

1. When I add a new stored procedure, give it a name, and click Apply, the physical model explorer does not refresh it’s sort order (set to by name) automatically. The re-sort occurs after I select the “Sort By Name” option again. I don’t know if this is a bug or just the standard way the Physical Model Explorer is designed to function.

We’ve discussed it in our team and I was wrong. This is not a bug.
Explanation: In Model Explorer, it’s not possible to set up an option to sort items by name but it’s possible to run an action to sort them by name. - Right-click the Model Explorer and select Sort by Name. Now do this again and please see there’s no check at the Sort by Name item. Therefore when you add a new item, it will not be sorted by name until you run the ‘Sort’ action again.

Nevertheless, please let us know if you prefer to have a switch in Model Explorer for this - to turn the Sort by Name option on and off.
Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Dillie-O,

I’m referring to your bug notification:

Bugs: 1. After making a few stored procedure modifications, I clicked the save button and then the Generate Script button. I got a TDM exception, shown in screenshot. After clicking OK. I clicked the generate button again and things worked just fine. Not sure if it is isolated or not, but I wanted to mention it.

Our testers are verifying this issue in upcoming Beta and keep failing to reproduce the problem.
Dillie, we’d like to ask you to do the following: Right-click your model in Application View and select Test Model. The test will write out some messages in Message Exporer. Right-click the Message Explorer | Save messages. They will be saved to LocalLog.txt file. Please send us the file. Thanks!
(Note: Right-click the Message Explorer | View Options | Message Saving tab to see where the txt file will be saved.)

You can send it to: modeling@quest.com. Thanks!

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Vladka

I just dropped the Log file and my data model in the e-mail to the address you specified. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks! We got it. I’ve forwarded it to our testers. As soon as I know more, I’ll write.

Thanks again.

Vladka + TDM Team

The conversation continues at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5683&tstart=0

Vl.