Toad World® Forums

ALTER scripts for SQL Server

I posted a question about generating ALTER scripts for SQL Server 2000 in the main product forum. Bscalzo referred me to the Beta version noting that this feature is available in the current Beta.

I’ve downloaded and installed the current Beta release. But still am unable to produce ALTER scripts for SQL Server 2000 data models.

When using the ALTER Scripting function, the icons to produce the ALTER script remain unavailable (see screen capture in attached document).

If I select “Execute”, I get a program error (see attached document).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Randy

Hi Randy,

Alter script generation is supported only for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 (and Oracle 9i, 10g, 11g)

In Convertor, the first button from the three buttons next to Model 1 and Model 2 boxes stands for alter script generation. As you can see, they are disabled.
In fact, you tried to do model merge to Model2, however all changes (blue arrows) are directed to Model1.
In any case, thanks very much for the the Eurekalog, we will verify it.

For more details on Convertor, please have a look at Help file or watch the following flash movie:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1678&categoryID=158

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

Thanks for the info.

I converted the models to SQL Server 2005 and was able to successfully produce an ALTER script.

Thanks!

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write us.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Thank you Vladka.

I do seem to be having a problem with the generated ALTER script. I appears that when adding new entities to a model, attributes that are foreign keys are being duplicated in the CREATE TABLE statement that is generated within the ALTER script.

I’m attaching a document that illustrates this issue and one other.

Please let me know if I am generating the ALTER script incorrectly. The operation of the “converter” window is still a bit awkward to me.

Thank you again for your assistance.

-Randy
CREATE TABLE.doc (592 KB)

Hello Randy,

Thanks very much for raising your questions!

1. Duplicate FKs in alter script. Yes, we have found out that there really is something wrong. We will deal with the problem. CR # 56 216.
    Thanks for your notification!

2. ID Value and ID_Value attribute - Unfortunately, we have failed to simulate the problem. You have converted sql server 2000 model to sql server 2005, haven’t you?
    Please check out the attribute in the sql server 2000 model.
    Well, in any case, the names should be converted properly. We have verified it and found no problem.
    Unfortunately, we don’t know how this could happen. Can you please write us more details/information? Or send us the original model?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team