Toad World® Forums

Auto Code Completion/Dot Look Up.

select * from v$sessioin a where a.
and wait, key 1 character at a time (Slowly), it just doesn’t seem to bring it up. However at some point during typing it pops up but if you hit another character it disappears. I have turned off dot look up and turned it back on, no difference, I went into view preferences (it was on) and left it. Nothing seemed to help. I know this is vague, but I’m not sure what else to try…

I have tried to figure out what makes this popup and what doesn’t.
if you type in:

Hi Dale,

The reason is most likely that your database is slow. Once you enter a character in Code Editor, it will issue (after a small delay) in the background one or more queries to obtain a list of objects that have names matching to the text just typed. If the database is slow, the query may not complete before you type in the next character and will be cancelled, and a new query issued.

To avoid the situation that code completion issues queries after each character, you have to either type faster (so that auto completion never gets fired while typing) or disable auto completion (either temporarily using the toolbar button or permanently in preferences) and use Ctrl+Space to bring up the completion pop-up list manually when needed.

We are currently working on improving the performance of code completion.

Regards,
Roman

Ok, I think it is a 10G issue. The dot lookup seems to work as described on our 8 and 9 databases, but the 10 it is not, the ctl-space does not work either, if when keying in the 8 and 9 if I hit another key the highlighted word goes the closest to what is typed (if you have typed cre the highlighted word might be create_date, if then I type a d it might go to credit_code). In 10G if you are lucky enough to get the popup list if you hit another character it goes away. I do not believe this is a performance issue.

Hi Dale,

I can’t agree that this problem has to do with Oracle version. We have 10g instances here, and code completion works perfectly well. The queries it performs are the same regardless of the Oracle version. To determine whether code completion takes too long or doesn’t work at all, take notice of the Close Tab button (‘X’ in the top right corner of the code editor window). It becomes grayed out while the code completion thread is working. If it becomes enabled and the completion list doesn’t popup, then CC has failed to populate the list. Please tell us your observations.

Thank you,
Roman

select * from v$session a where a.paddr > ‘1’

and a.command > 1

and a.p

and then press ctl-space, nothing comes up. I have looked at the x in the corner and yes it grays and then comes back with no popup. I also noticed when you do get the popup if the variable has a “#” character in it as v$session does, those do not show up in the list this is on both oracle 8 and oracle 10. The second attached screen print is from oracle 8. I absolutely can not get the 10G to popup at all with the p, I can however get it to pop up if I do an a. and then ctl-space. Now 1 thing to note, when doing commands, if I do a (select * from v$ ) I do get a popup soemwhat quickly with a list of table names.

I wish I could be more helpful here, and I hope you don’t think I’m loosing my mind.

When I type this in:
dotlookup.jpeg

select * from v$session a where a.paddr > ‘1’

and a.command > 1

and a.p

and then press ctl-space, nothing comes up. I have looked at the x in the corner and yes it grays and then comes back with no popup. I also noticed when you do get the popup if the variable has a “#” character in it as v$session does, those do not show up in the list this is on both oracle 8 and oracle 10. The second attached screen print is from oracle 8. I absolutely can not get the 10G to popup at all with the p, I can however get it to pop up if I do an a. and then ctl-space. Now 1 thing to note, when doing commands, if I do a (select * from v$ ) I do get a popup soemwhat quickly with a list of table names.

I wish I could be more helpful here, and I hope you don’t think I’m loosing my mind.

When I type this in:
dotlookupora8.gif

Still playing a little… OK, I have gotten the popup to work with “a.p”, but only after ctl-space then let the gray X go back to active then ctl-space again seems to work somewhat consistently. I shut navigator down completely and brought it back up and tried again and have the same results.