Toad World® Forums

Can we (now or future) make use of Inheritance in Physical Model?

Postgres 8.2

Can we make use of Inheritance in Physical Model?

I want to set up a table with auditing fields (creator person, person modifying, create and update timestamps, etc.). Fields that I want nearly every table in my schema to have (but not all). Instead of having to manually add the fields to each table, if I could have each table inherit from the audit table, this would happen automatically and save a huge amount of work both in creating the model and maintaining it.

Postgres (and I believe an increasing number of other databases) support this sort of inheritance. Is it possible to include this in TDM at some point, or is it possible to add it now through some mechanism? … at the time of schema design? … when the DDL is being created? … or will we have to wait until Oracle supports this. :wink:

Thanks,

BillR

Hello Bill,

Please see the Entity Properties form, General tab, Inherited Tables box where the list of inherited tables can be written.

If it doesn’t meet your needs, please write me back.
Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

I think that might do it, thanks. A dancing banana for you.

Any news on inherited tables support in TDM3 for postgres (8.2) ?

Hi Arki,

Unfortunately, no news. Still the same - Entity Properties form, General tab, Inherited Tables box where the list of inherited tables can be written.

Regarding the discussion at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12271

CR # 36 882 and CR # 36 941 have not been resolved yet. Unfortunately, they have low priority.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Vladka