Toad World® Forums

Can you use Quest Code Tester for big blobs of code?

(I received this question today and thought it would be useful to post on the forum. SF)

Steven,

I've been reading about QCT4O and am interested in finding out whether it would fit within our organization (or dis-organization).

As background, I'm a DBA who hired into this company well after they had been doing several years of PL/SQL development.  From what I can see, we don't have anyone who really knows all that much about PL/SQL, even though a significant portion of our application is implemented via packages.  Certainly, I don't see any evidence of best practices or standards of any sort.

I have a strong suspicion that our code is not very well modularized.  I think that there are some utility procedures for string manipulation, but there is certainly no encapsulation of SQL.

So, could QCT4O be effectively used in our environment, or would we first have to start on a vigorous program of "modularizing" our PL/SQL code?

I would say that in fact Quest Code Tester would be a critical tool to use in your environment, particularly because the code is not modularized and the knowledge level on PL/SQL (and likely the code base itself) is low.

It is easier to apply Code Tester to heavily modularized code, sure. But the need to build a regression is no different for big blobs of code as it is for nice, tight modular code. The main difference will be that each test case of a big code blob will have many outcomes for which you need to test, while modular programs will have fewer outcomes per test case, but more unit tests.

And if you really do plan to refactor the code to make it more modular, it is very, very important that you have a regression test in place that you can use as a baseline to verify that the refactored code still works.

I hope that is clear. Feel free to follow up with additional questions.

Warm regards,
Steven Feuerstein
Quest Code Tester for Oracle
http://unittest.inside.quest.com/index.jspa