Toad World® Forums

Cannot see database devices

There seems to be an old error in Toad that is still present in Beta 3.0.0.604: When I select Server Objects -> Devices it says “Devices (0)” and will not show any database devices. It is the same in 2.0.

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you please provide more information about your problem? What version ASE do you use? Are you sure that your user has access to system table? System table for information about devices is: master…sysdevices

Filip

Hello John,

Thank you for more details. Exception from the picture show that problem is on server side. Unfortunately we are still not able reproduce it because you probably have some unique device which cause problem.

Because you are able read information in SQL and Sybase Central, seems that problem will be in our internal SQL which loading data about list.

I would like to ask if it is possible check this SQL. You can find your version in SQL Dictionary:

At first you can run this SQL in Editor and you will see if there will be same error. Then it would be really helpful, if you can add WHERE clausule and run this SQL for each of your devices. I expect that you will find some device which cause problem.

If it is possible please send this information about your unique device to us. We will try simulate it again on our side and find some solution.

Many thanks for your help.

Filip

Hello John,

Thank you for your files. I am finally able reproduce the issue.

The task TSY-1151 was created for the issue.

We will fix the problem as soon as possible.

Filip

Hi Filip

My user has sa_role, so that is definitely not the problem. I can see the deviced with my user both with sql-commands
and in Sybase Central.

What happens in Toad is:

When I place click the Devices symbol in Object Exporer it displays:

and when I hold the cursor over the Devices symbol it displays:

Devices (0)

The same thing happens in Database Explorer.

I checked 3 different ASE’s on both AIX and HP-UX before submitting the post, same result in all of them. Now I checked
another one and there it can display the db-devices, so it must have something to do with the actual data, probably in sysdevices or sysusages.

Is there any kind of tracing that can be turned on to find out where it fails?

/John-Helge

From: Filip Cevela [mailto:bounce-FilipCevela@toadworld.com]

Sent: 9. mars 2015 10:10

To: toadsybasebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: {Disarmed} RE: [Toad for Syabse - Beta Discussion Forum] Cannot see database devices

RE: Cannot see database devices

Reply by Filip Cevela

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you please provide more information about your problem? What version ASE do you use? Are you sure that your user has access to system table? System table for information about devices is:
master…sysdevices

Filip

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Sybase - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Sybase - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Web Bug from http://04j0.mj.am/o/04j0/3201366d/6n0nnu2e.gif

Hi Filip

I found the query and tested it in one of our ASE’s. Unfortunately it doesn’t give much precise information:

1>

2> select name, phyname, cntrltype,

3> convert(bit,case when (convert(bit, status2 & 8)<>1 and (cntrltype >1 and cntrltype<9)) then 0

4> else 1 end)

5> as isdefaultdisk,

6> convert(decimal, (high - low + 1) * 2) as totalsize,

7> convert(decimal,case sdev.cntrltype when 0 then isnull((select ((sdev.high - sdev.low + 1) * 2)-((sum(u.size)*(@@maxpagesize/1024)))

8> from master…sysusages u

9> where u.vdevno = sdev.vdevno), convert (decimal, (sdev.high - sdev.low + 1) * 2)) else 0 end) as freespace,

10> sdev.vdevno,

11> convert(bit, status2 & 8 ) as IsInMemory ,

12> mirrorname = sdev.mirrorname,

13> convert(bit,status&16384) dsync,

14> convert(bit,status2&1) directio,

15> convert(bit, status & 64) as diskmirrored,

16> convert(bit, status & 512) as mirrorenabled

17> FROM master.dbo.sysdevices sdev left join

18> (SELECT sum (suages.[size] * @@maxpagesize / 1024)

19> AS USED,

20> suages.vdevno

21> FROM master.dbo.sysusages suages

22> GROUP BY suages.vdevno) su on sdev.vdevno = su.vdevno

23> order by name asc

24> go

Msg 3606, Level 16, State 4:

Server ‘MICOS1’, Line 2:

Arithmetic overflow occurred.

1>

I attach bcp-files from sysusages and sysdevices on the ASE where I ran the above query, so you can load them into similar
tables and test the query. bcp was executed with -c option only.

Best regards

John-Helge Knutsen

Sjefskonsulent, FSO AO Databases

john.helge.knutsen@evry.com

M+47 915 88 639

From: Filip Cevela [mailto:bounce-FilipCevela@toadworld.com]

Sent: 10. mars 2015 09:46

To: toadsybasebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: {Disarmed} RE: [Toad for Syabse - Beta Discussion Forum] RE: {Disarmed} RE: Cannot see database devices

RE: RE: {Disarmed} RE: Cannot see database devices

Reply by Filip Cevela

Hello John,

Thank you for more details. Exception from the picture show that problem is on server side. Unfortunately we are still not able reproduce it because you probably have some unique device which
cause problem.

Because you are able read information in SQL and Sybase Central, seems that problem will be in our internal SQL which loading data about list.

I would like to ask if it is possible check this SQL. You can find your version in SQL Dictionary:

At first you can run this SQL in Editor and you will see if there will be same error. Then it would be really helpful, if you can add WHERE clausule and run this SQL for each of your devices.
I expect that you will find some device which cause problem.

If it is possible please send this information about your unique device to us. We will try simulate it again on our side and find some solution.

Many thanks for your help.

Filip

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Sybase - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Sybase - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Web Bug from http://04j0.mj.am/o/04j0/76cbf8d0/6n73n4ie.gif