Toad World® Forums

columns in grid results

Hi,

SQL Optimizer 9.2 on Oracle 11.2.0.3 x64.

Whenever I save testing results (in any format) and later open them I get u bunch of columns which has "-1" value:

why are their content like that?

which Oracle view are you using to show values ...when do they have different values (what to do ....which test to made).

Brg

Damir

Hi Damir,

The “-1” are the default values of the data behind the grid component. You should see empty values instead in the UI and empty is also actually what they should be in the export. However, we are having a problem with the grid component in which the “-1” got exported instead. I have filled a change request for this to be fixed in the future.

Thanks,

Alex

thx for an answer but this is partly what I asked.

I have never ever seen them filled with any data but mentioned “-1”.

1. in which case they have some values?
  2. How this happened-what to do to see some values there
  3. which Oracle view are you using to show values …when do they have different values (what to do …which test to made).
    Please answer on mine questions.

Brg

Damir

Hi Damir,

Sorry to missed your other questions. The statistics you highlighted are the SQL Trace statistics. In the grid it may be harder to differentiate different statistics. If you can go to the Statistics Information tab, it may be easier to see which statistics are from:

• Client Statistics are those we measure on the client side which is basically the time to get the first record and the time to get all records after sending the SQL to database.

• Session Statistics are those collected by Oracle using the Set Statistics Time On

• Trance Statistics are those collected by Oracle using the SQL Trace utility (a,k.a. TKPROF sometomes as this this the common utility to view these statistics)

To enable the SQL Trace in the product, you can go to Options | General | Trace Setup page, choose the connection and then follow the wizard to set up.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi,

Thx fr an answer, this clear up 99%.

For that 1% just one question.

I do understand trace in oracle fully, but according your tool, if I enable SQL optimizer trace (from your app option), could you tell me what is overhead and does it reflect on results in timings?

brg

Damir

Hi Damir,

I don’t have a clear answer for that. There is definitely an overhead in SQL Trace but I am not able to provide a concrete figure. Turning it on will affect the time measured so the time of a SQL with SQL Trace turned on is not comparable to another SQL without SQL Trace.

The Oracle documentation stated this:

“The additional overhead of running the SQL Trace facility against an application with performance problems is normally insignificant compared with the inherent overhead caused by the application’s inefficiency.”

This is a fair statement. If your SQL has performance problem. The overhead is relative insignificant and should be worth spending. But on the other side, you won’t want to turn on SQL Trace without the need as there is an overhead to collect the statistics and also to write to the trace file. That is why we have it in the Options so user can turn it on only if needed.

One thing worth to note is that the SQL Trace is on session level so it would have the minimal impact on other sessions.

Hope this answered your question.

Thanks,
Alex