Toad World® Forums

comparing collection

Which example in the Quick Start Guide for Quest Code Tester for Oracle version 1.5.1 is best for understanding how to compare 2 collections? In the company where I work there are many utPLSQL procedures that compare the contents 2 PL/SQL tables. The programmers refer to the PL/SQL tables as arrays. For example, the package being tested declares in its specification two arrays like this:
TYPE VARCHAR2_ARRAY IS TABLE OF VARCHAR2(100);
TYPE VARCHAR_TABLE_ARRAY IS TABLE OF VARCHAR2_ARRAY;
The utPLSQL will call a function in the tested package which returns a VARCHAR_TABLE_ARRAY. The uPLSQL package creates and populates its own VARCHAR_TABLE_ARRAY and then compares the first and second array. The test is successful if the strings in array 1 are the same as array2. The comparison is done by means of nested FOR LOOPs. I can provide a sample of this exercise in utPLSQL if anyone is interested

In the Quick Start Guide there are two samples of how to test collections:

Return collection of Strings (p. 18)
Return collection of Records (p.23)
When I was playing around with Nested Tables and Objects I did find a bug. Supplying the input parameters for my function had to be done through the initialization tab (Step 2. --> push “…” button)
Hope it helps.

Thank you. I’ll try using the initialization section for better results.

Jeff,

You definitely do always need to provide your own customziation code when testing the contents of collections. Over time, we will build UI elements to make this easier.

SF