Toad World® Forums

Copying a Production Table and its BLOB contents to Test

I have been tasked to copy a Production Table and its contents to Test. Even though I’m not a DBA, I could probably extract the data, load it to Microsoft Access and then Export it to the Test Database. But in this case, there’s a “BLOB” Data Type on the Production Table and I think that’s going to mess up my thinking here.

Is there any easy way to copy a Production Table and its contents that contain a “BLOB” Data Type down to our Test Database without having to get a DBA involved here???

I appreciate your review and welcome a response.

Thanks in advance for your review and hopeful for a reply.

PSULionRP

Hi

Check if your oracle client installation has the export utility (exp.exe) and the import utility (imp.exe).
If so, you can use it via the command line or using SQLNavigator Object->export utility (and import utility)

Regards
Filipe

Hey PSU – If there is, or you can create, (or pester the DBA to do so) a database link to production from test, then you can easily copy the data including the BLOBs. If you are going to do such a link, I recommend creating it with a read-only user just to make sure no production data is modified over the link inadvertently.