Toad World® Forums

Cross Query Database Error

Hi,

I am using the Query builder to create a simple join of an Oracle table and a SQLServer table. However, when I execute the query it gives the following error:

Cross Query Database Error: Invalid data source definition: Invalid connection.;ConnectionOpen (Invalid Instance()).

My connections to these Database are working fine on their own, but have a problem with Cross Connection queries.

How can I fix this issue?

Regards

Tony

To Tony:

Thank you for posting in Toad World!

I noticed that you posted this issue once before (www.toadworld.com/.../23804.aspx), and we apologize for not responding sooner.

I was unable to reproduce your issue personally. We may require additional information to help diagnose your issue. Please follow these steps to supply us with a support bundle:

1. Launch Toad Data Point through the shortcut with the parameter /log=all.

2. Reproduce the issue and ensure the error message appears (If applicable).

3. Select Help -> Support Bundle
    2577.2.png

4. A new tab will appear. After it’s done generating the bundle, Right-click the tab -> Save File to save the .zip file to any directory of your choosing.
    0044.5.png

5. Return to the Toad World thread and Post a Reply using Rich Formatting
    5step.png

6. Compose a message

7. Select the Options tab next to Compose, then click Click to Add to add the .zip support bundle
    7step.png

8. Post when you’re ready!

We look forward to your response,

-Joshua Liong

Hi Joshua,

I did as you suggested and support bundle has been attached.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

To Tony:

After analyzing the support bundle, it appears that there is an issue when Cross Query is utilizing the SQL Server connection.

We can think of a couple of workarounds that may alleviate your issue.

Workaround 1: Manually select the ODBC Driver
Right-click your SQL Server connection -> Properties. The Connection Properties window will open.
Select the Advanced Tab, then in the “ODBC Driver” section, manually specify the ODBC Driver corresponding to your provider.
If the issue is not alleviated, manually specify the ODBC Driver in the Oracle connection in the same manner as for the SQL Server.
odbc_stuff.png

Workaround 2: Use an ODBC connection for SQL Server

1. File -> New -> Connection
  2. Select from the group “ODBC Generic”
  3. If you already have a DSN (Data Source Name) defined for SQL Server, you may select it and skip to the sixth step. Otherwise, click on the button that opens the ODBC Data Source Administrator
  4. Click the “Add” button.
  5. Select a SQL Server ODBC Driver and follow through it’s setup process.
  6. Use the query builder and reconstruct your query using the new SQL Server ODBC connection.

Let us know if any of these work.

Software Developer I,
-Joshua Liong

Hi Joshua,

Workaround 2 worked for me. I don’t know if there is a performance impact by not using the SQLServer driver. Will this issue be resolved for the next release so that no workaround is necessary?

Tony