Toad World® Forums

Custom Quick Builds and Copying Test Cases

Hello,

I am new to Code Tester (my group just received 1.5.3 a few days ago) and I had a couple questions.

I was wondering whether or not there is existing functionality to create your own Quick Build scenario and/or copy test cases from one package/program to another. Our application has many packages with similar functions/procedures, and the tests we run on them are very similar. It would be beneficial for us to have the ability to create our own Quick Build scenarios (to “save” test cases) or easily copy an entire test case from one package to another (and not just within a single package).

Is there a way to do this currently? being able to do this would go a long way in helping Code Tester become useful for our group.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

The custom quick build feature is on our ER list, but I have to tell you that I am not sure when we will have that available for you. Perhaps we will first make this available as a backend only feature (that is, provide a PL/SQL API to do the quick build creation, without a UI for it). I will take a look at this.

As for the copy capability, this has come up an awful lot. In 1.6 (which is available as a beta now and will go GA in a few more weeks). we have built SOME copy functionality into the backend:

PROCEDURE qu_unit_test_xp.copy_tc_to_another_ut (
src_unit_test_in IN qu_unit_test_tp.universal_id_t
, dest_unit_test_in IN qu_unit_test_tp.universal_id_t
, include_non_active_in IN BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE
);

PROCEDURE qu_unit_test_xp.copy_tc_to_another_ut (
src_unit_test_in IN qu_unit_test_tp.universal_id_t
, dest_unit_test_in IN qu_unit_test_tp.universal_id_t
, match_names_list_in IN target_names_aat
, include_non_active_in IN BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE
);

These copy programs are limited in how flexible they are in copying.

The first version assumes that the signature of the target program is the same as the source program (same number, types, names of arguments).

The second program allows you to provide a list of “match names” so that if the argument names are different you can give the program a “mapping” so Code Tester knows source and target alignment of arguments within a program.

So download the beta and let me know if this helps. We will look at enhancing this copy task for a fall release.

Thanks, SF