Data Type changes by mistake

I use the attribute description extensively. I often click on an attribute to open that attribute properties window. All I am going there for is to read the description while working on some other document. When that window opens, the field that has focus is the data type. If I look away and move my mouse to my document but scroll or similar before I click – it changes the data type in the attribute properties window. Many times every week I end up changing data types by mistake. Usually I cancel out of that window, but sometimes simply click OK when I am done. When I next run an alter script and apply to my database, I change the data type in that database. Again, this will sometimes result in some sort of error message, but sometimes not. For instance – I recently, by mistake, changed a field from integer to decimal. The database accepted that without complaint, but this caused a problem when trying to reverse that mistake.

Please consider giving some other field focus when that window opens (or even better – make the user click on something to give it focus). If you choose another field, I would suggest the description, because if that changes by mistake, it will not mess up the database. Alternatively, make that field ignore the scroll feature until the dropdown is chosen. (Do something to make it less easy to alter the field)

Long ago, this was not a problem, so I am guessing that this field getting focus is something that was introduced not that long ago.

Hi,

thank you for your suggestion. We will discuss that. The reason why the combo got focus was to reduce the number of necessary steps when working with new objects. In past it was not a problem, but it was necessary to define some columns properties on one tab and then click another tab to define comments/descriptions.

What might help you is to see descriptions in Table grid, on tab Columns (the field is editable, just press F2 to access the full content of descriptions) and in version 5.2 new feature will be introduced: Microsoft Excel Import/Export. That new feature should be ideal for management of comments.

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi,

I have some good news for you! Our TDM dev lead Petr created a custom package for you. It changes focus from the Data Type combo box to Caption field.

Download it from the following location:

www.toadworld.com/…/1373.aspx

Unzip the file and import the package to Toad Data Modeler.

Instructions:

www.toadworld.com/…/how-to-import-custom-packages.aspx

Restart TDM and try to edit any attribute.

Regards,

Vaclav

Wow! That certainly is fantastic service. Thank you so much.

This is perfect. Exactly what I need.

Michelle

From: Vaclav Frolik [mailto:bounce-Vaclav_Frolik@toadworld.com]
Sent: February-11-14 5:12 AM
To: tdm@toadworld.com
Subject: RE: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] Data Type changes by mistake

RE: Data Type changes by mistake

Reply by Vaclav Frolik

Hi,

I have some good news for you! Our TDM dev lead Petr created a custom package for you. It changes focus from the Data Type combo box to Caption field.

Download it from the following location:

www.toadworld.com/…/1373.aspx

Unzip the file and import the package to Toad Data Modeler.

Instructions:

www.toadworld.com/…/how-to-import-custom-packages.aspx

Restart TDM and try to edit any attribute.

Regards,

Vaclav

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad Data Modeler - General notifications altogether.
Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.