Toad World® Forums

Describe window - newbie question

Hello,

I’d to ask for help… or for small (I hope ;)) change with describe window.

When I press Ctrl+F3 SQL Navigator brings ‘Describe’ window which is very useful, until I’ll click anywhere else because it’ll be hidden under another window(s)… :> Is it possible to have it dockable like ‘Code Assistant’ window, or, at least, mark it ‘Stay on Top’?

I can use ‘Auto Describe’ window - I know - but I can’t use it so simple and so fast, with only one keypress (or I don’t know how :> )… And ‘Describe’ works with synonyms and tables with the same efficiency, ‘Auto Describe’ requires pointing exact object under the ‘DB Explorer’ tree.

‘Describe’ page (with pages ‘DB Explorer’, ‘History’, ‘Outline’ and so on) have the same problem - with efficiency - because it requires additional mouse click to type something in filter field (and I’m keyboard-not-mouse-man :wink: ). And, why should I type anything? I have the name of interesting object in ‘Code Editor’ - just under my cursor ;).

Another question: what is wrong with flexible height row size in data grid? In SQLNav5.5 there was possibility to take mouse and resize; in 6.0 and 6.1 beta - no such possibility… Only ugly two different colors for even and odd rows :wink: . Is it possible to switch it off? And make height of rows smaller, because amount of visible data in grid is lower - with no change with font family (as shown in pic1)?

‘Group by this column’, accessible from right button mouse click is nice too, but it groups values to one column: label + count of rows of grouped data. Is it possible to make two columns for it (or make one more with count only)? It could help sort data on count of rows in group.

Wist
PS. Sorry on my poor english but I hope You can understand me… :slight_smile:
moz-screenshot-8.jpeg

Hi Wist,

The issue with changing row size is definitely a regression from 5.5. This cycle is coming close to the end so it may not get fixed until the next release.
About the Describe window, I’m afraid that’s all we offer at the moment. Nevertheless, I will put it and the one with grouping columns down as enhancement requests. Thanks for your feedbacks and we’re looking forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers
Gwen

Hello,

I tried to find a nice and simple workaround for Describe problem (I was afraid so answer be similar to Yours :> ), and recorded macro for few keypress: ctrl+enter, alt+v, d, alt+v, d, ctrl+f4 - and it works… Not so elegant, not so fast, but I can handle it until it will be fixed.

When I searched for a solution inside SQLNav, I noticed so context menu ‘Object // Open Object (Ctrl+Alt+O)’ (right mouse button click on table name in editor) opens ‘Select DB Object’ dialog, while the combination ‘Ctrl+Alt+O’ opens ‘Find Objects’ window (like 5.5 version does).

Dialog ‘Select DB Object’, accessible from ‘Ctrl+Alt+D’ combination is different from the one from RMBClick: the second allow access only to stored program object only, while first allows access to any object in database.

In the ‘Find Object’ window is the button ‘Search’ (with underscored S), but pressing Alt+S brings ‘Session’ system menu to life - not performing search… Enter key works fine, anyway. :wink:

Wist

Hi Wist,

Good to hear that you found a way that works for you.

First issue: I think the shortcut label is incorrect. It should Ctrl+Alt+D instead of Ctrl+Alt+O. We will fix that.

Second issue: We tried but couldn’t reproduce. They both give us the same set of objects. Would you mind providing us with some screen shots for both cases?

Third issue: all the shortcuts will be removed.

Gwen

Hi again,

Sure, screenshots attached: ClipBoard-1.png shows RMBClick menu in editor, ClipBoard-2.png shows dialog window with Object type dropdown opened with click from first one. ClipBoard-3.png - there is (almost :wink: ) the same dialog window opened by immediate pressing Ctrl+Alt+D.

Wist

Hi again,

Sure, screenshots attached: ClipBoard-1.png shows RMBClick menu in editor, ClipBoard-2.png shows dialog window with Object type dropdown opened with click from first one. ClipBoard-3.png - there is (almost :wink: ) the same dialog window opened by immediate pressing Ctrl+Alt+D.

Wist

And 3rd screen - I can’t attach three files to one message…

Wist

I see what you meant now, Wist. Thanks for clarifying this for us. It’s a nice catch but this bug is not a high priority so it will take a while before we get to it.

Gwen

Hi Wist,

I had a chat with the team and it seems like this is a feature of Nav instead of a bug.
In every editor, there would be an Open Object icon and an Open Object item under right-click menu. When you use select either of these, the window will be opened and populated with objects that are of the same type as the current one.
For example, if you are in table editor and select Open from right click menu, the window will be populated with table and only Table is shown in the Object Type field. The same things apply for code editor. Ultimately, we should delete the shortcut in the right-click menu because it may confuse customers and make people think that it’s the same as the Open Object from the main menu.
In short, we won’t make any changes to the behaviour of Open Object but we will remove the shortcut from the right-click menu to avoid any confusion.

Cheers
Gwen