Toad World® Forums

Does Benchmark Factory for Database 6.8.1 support SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn?

Hi All,

Does Benchmark Factory for Database 6.8.1 support SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn?

Thank you!

Message was edited by: ray.lee_078

yes

Hi Thank you so much for your answer.

I have been using Benchmark Factory for Database version 6.6.1 to run against SQL Server 2012 Alwayson Availability groups for the past few days and I encountered some problems,I was trying to create a database of around 500 GB (the capacity of the disk I had was around 1TB) to run a TPC-E benchmark test (I set the scale to 59 with the estimated size of 504.55 GB). However, during the database creation phase, the log file of the database grew twice as big as the data file of the database, and it used up all the space in the disk (with data file of size 320GB and log file of size 680GB) and then failed because BMF could not allocate space. Is it normal for log file to grow that big when I use SQL Server 2012 Alwayson Availability groups? If I switch to version 6.8.1 and run against Alwayson Availability groups, will the log file grow that big as well?

I have another question if BMF V6.8.1 supports SQL Server 2012 Alwayson. In Alwayson availability groups, if the primary database fails, a secondary database will become the primary and continue the service. If this occurs during a test run in BMF, will the test continue running?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Best,

I am not sure why your log file is growing so big. At scale factor 59 you should have approximately 500G for data and 120G for indexes. I would upgrade to 6.81 for two main reasons;

1. There have been several bug fixes/enhancements to the TPC-E benchmark since version 6.6.1. This includes changes/fixes to the data loading as well as to the actual execution of the TPC-E transactions.
  2. BMF does not officially support SQL Server 2012 for the 6.6.1 release. To get AlwaysOn features you will need to use BMF with the SQL Server Native Client v11 or higher. On failover the test should continue to run if the Native Client ODBC DSN is setup correctly.

Hi kmd,

Thank you so much for your answers to my questions. I have upgraded to the latest version 6.8.1, and have run multiple tests with this new version.

1. I am still getting very large log files with this new version, but I guess it is probably due to SQL 2012 Alwayson Availability group. BFM probably has nothing to do with it.

2. I have also run some tests to test failover on SQL Alwayson group. With SQL Server Native Client v11, all the test I ran were cancelled by BMF when failover occurred. I have unchecked ‘Stop job after first error’, and checked ‘Enable Reconnect’ for all the tests. Are there any other things I need to do to let tests continue to run when failover occurs?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Best,