Edit Permission... Functions

It seems to me that Function objects are second-class citizens in Toad’s eyes. You can’t create a new one or grant permissions on one, contrary to its upper-class sibling, the Procedure. What’s the deal?

Windows XP, SQL Anywhere 11 (11.0.1.2044)

Hello Larry,

Full function support has not been implemented for SQL Anywhere. We have CR 104,942 for this.

Thanks.

Ok, Michael. Thanks for entering the Change Request ticket. I realize my rantings have been on the little things. Toad can do so much, but sometimes you have to step back and look at how the small shop (on a budget) works. We need a tool that can help us with our day-to-day development; looking at database objects, looking at result sets, creating new objects, and altering those objects. The items that I mentioned are, to me, conspicuously absent. Maybe the development team was too busy looking at the whiz-bang functionality and forgot about the core needs. Just my $.02. But wait! There’s more…

We have been using Sybase Central up till now with a few complaints. Overall, it can do everything we need but without the polish that Toad offers. Things like syntax checking, SQL formatting, auto-completion. This is what is sorely missed in Sybase Central. However, when I ask to create a function or procedure, I’m presented with a default template. Necessary? No. Nice? Yes. And when a function of procedure is altered, an ALTER statement is generated, not a DROP, CREATE. This seems like no one thought about the consequences of dropping a procedure and the loss of permissions.

Are we still going to purchase Toad for Sybase? Yes. I had the PO held up until I could get answers to my concerns. You’ve answered two of them. The rest are wait-and-see, I guess. Nonetheless, I’ll submit the PO in time to still receive the promotional discounts. I’m just a little disappointed, though.

Hello Larry,

I am very sorry to say that Toad uses the same command ‘drop then recreate’ in IQ/SA when you are trying to alter a View/Procedure/Function because Alter command for these database objects are not supported in ASE and we miss the command differences between these platforms.

For IQ/SA, Toad should use Alter command to alter View/Procedure/Function.

For ASE, as these commands are not supported and I think the authority one user has to alter these objects should be sa_role or dba or object owner, so Toad should read the permissions info from system tables and insert these data into one template table then re-grant the permissions after re-create this object.

I hope this problem can be fixed ASAP.

CR 104966 has been entered. Thanks.