Toad World® Forums

Error during consolidation


#1

Hi,

I’m back to TDM for a (very) short while.

I’ve RE’d a small number of tables and merged them into the main model.

During this I get a number of “Error during consolidation” messages in the Message Explorer window. Their tooltip is “TUserGroup.ReplaceConsolidatedObject”. The tables seem to have been added/updated correctly.

What does this error mean? How can I fix it?

Thanks
Malcolm


#2

Hello Malcolm,

Very happy to hear from you again. :slight_smile:

Let me ask you a few questions on the problem:

  1. You use v. 3.1.7. Is that right?
  2. Do you perform the Model Update or do you RE only and then merge models?
  3. Do you load Oracle 10g model?
  4. Do you make any modifications in the Convertor - change blue arrows, change OTP settings etc.?
  5. When exactly does the error occur? At the beginning of the merge process, later, while the model is being loaded or after you close the Convertor…
  6. Does the problem occur also in latest Beta?

Thanks for the details. We do hope we will manage to simulate the problem having more details. Thanks again.

Regards,

Vladka


#3

Quick update - CR # 51 215 created for our testers to try to simulate the problem.

Vladka


#4

Hi Vladka,

I have done another similar RE adding just a single table.
Here are some answers;

  1. You use v. 3.1.7. Is that right?
    3.1.7.25
  1. Do you perform the Model Update or do you RE only and then merge models?
    RE (see below) then merge
  1. Do you load Oracle 10g model?
    Oracle 9i model
  1. Do you make any modifications in the Convertor - change blue arrows, change OTP settings etc.?
    Change OTP to just entities
    Change blue arrows to remove Project, Model, Author, Company and Version

5.When exactly does the error occur? At the beginning of the mergeprocess, later, while the model is being loaded or after you close theConvertor…
Select Save Merged Model 2
T0 + 0s press Execute (hourglass cursor)
T0 + 100s cursor turns to pointer for a couple of seconds then back to hourglass
T0 + 124s Loading Model progress bar appears
T0 + 180s Merge complete, Convertor dialog closes, model redrawn

7 of the messages in Main Message Explorer, time = T0 + 121s

  1. Does the problem occur also in latest Beta?
    Not able to try this at the moment

In order to isolate the change from the other development work this is how I did the RE.
In TOAD for Oracle, copy the changed objects from SCHEMA1 to empty SCHEMA2
RE from SCHEMA2 (as user SCHEMA2)
In RE’d model;

  • delete SCHEMA1 user
  • rename SCHEMA2 user to SCHEMA1
  • edit table to;
    add NickName (we added this field)
    rename constraints
    add before script
    select the correct tablespace (for table and index)
    Save the RE model at this point
    Check out the target model.
    Select RE model, then Model>Alter Script, Merge …
    Then on with step 4 above

HTH
Malcolm


#5

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks so much! Forwarded to our testers.
As soon as I know more, I’ll let you know.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Vladka


#6

Hi Vladka,

  1. Does the problem occur also in latest Beta?
    Yes (3.2.3.9)

Regards
Malcolm


#7

I don’t know if it is part of the problem but if I “Test Model” I get the following message;
Failed test TPERModelTest.TestConsistenceGlobalList
Object TCategories.CategoriesObject exists in globallist but not in model

“Repair Model” does not fix this.

This occurs in both my RE model and Target model.

Malcolm


#8

Hi Malcom,

target model will be very useful for us.We can’t reproduce your problem with our models.Even after step-by-step description from you.

Maybe something “special” in your target model placed in Version Manager.

Tomas
QA


#9

These messages are “normal” for some time -> No impact on function.

Just a quick update.My colleague reproduce your problem on our models.But only one-time.We are trying to repeat.

Tomas
QA


#10

Hi Malcolm,

Good news! - At last we have managed to simulate the problem and are able to reproduce it!

CR # 51 215 sent to our developers.

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Vladka

Message was edited by: vladka


#11

Hi Vladka,

Great, well done.

I think I have also found the problem. I’ll try to explain it.

When I RE my RE settings were the same as I would use for a whole DB RE, so I am getting Entities (the one I selected) also Users, User Groups and Tablespaces. There are no other items in the RE database.

In the Convertor I selected only Entities checkbox (and its children).
I then deselected the bits I didn’t want (leaving the new entity) and performed the merge.

This is a representation of what I think is happening;
We have a User Group (UG1).
In my target model the only member is USER1 (since we have a seperate model for each schema).
My target model knows about other (deliverable) users, eg USER2, USER3.
In my RE’d model I also have development/test users, eg DUSER, TUSER.

In my RE’d model UG1 has all the above users (USER1, USER2, USER3, DUSER, TUSER) as members.

After the merge, my target model UG1 has users USER1, USER2, USER3 and 2 errors are raised (DUSER and TUSER).

I looks like the merge is trying to merge User Groups, though they were not selected for the comparison.

HTH
Malcolm


#12

Thanks, Malcolm.

I’ve added your detailed description to the CR for our developers.

Thanks again for your fantastic co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka