Toad World® Forums

Error with beta 3


#1

I am getting the attached error as soon as I try to connect to an instance. After I click OK, SQL Nav closes down.

If I don’t log into an instance initially, and then try and log in, I get “ORA-24316 illegal handle type”.

Then if I try and connect using the Project Manager, I get “ORA-01041 internal error. hostdef extension doesn’t exist”.

Thanks.
-Charlie

error.jpeg


#2

Hi Charlie,
Good to hear from you again!!

This sounds very bizarre, I’ve not heard of any other people having similar problems after upgrading from beta 2 to beta 3.

  • If you go back to beta 2 again, is all okay?

  • If you uninstall the previous beta and then install 3 fresh, do the same issues occur?

I’ll talk to the rest of the team about this when they get in (I’m an early starter)…

Jaime


#3

Hi Jaime,

Okay, I uninstalled beta3, downloaded and installed the full version of beta3. Same problem. I attached a full screenshot.

Then I unstalled beta3, and installed beta 1 to see if I could connect. I couldn’t use it because it expired. I no longer have the beta 2 update, and I couldn’t find it on this website, so I could not try it.

So now I’m back to using SQL Nav 5.5. I can connect and it works fine.

Thanks.
-Charlie
error.jpeg


#4

After further consideration… we are still stumped!
The only major difference between beta2 and beta3 is the inclusion of the Unified Editor.

This should have no effect on your connection management.
We have noticed that the session switching is not working correctly in the beta3 build. But this also should not effect the connections.

Sorry Charlie… we’ll have to give this some more thought.
Any further information you can supply to help us to try and track it down, would me appreciated.

Jaime


#5

Is there a way I can get beta 2? Then at least I can continue using version 6.0 until the next beta is available.

Currently, I am back using 5.5. I’m not sure what else I can try for the beta 3.

Thanks.
-Charlie


#6

Hey Charlie,

The time-bomb in beta 2 will be up very soon… so that will do you no good…
We are definitely on-your-case… so hopefully, will have some constructive feedback for you soon…

Jaime


#7

Hi Charlie,

Roman is working on this for you and will try to get the next build to you asap as we would like to get feedback from you too on the Unified Edtior (some of your previous requests have been implemented in UE…), and Roman can work with you, Piter and all our users to make UE & the work flow works for you.

Hope that you only need to go back to 5.5 for a very short time :-).

Thanks and regards,
Bruce


#8

Hi Charlie,
This error really puzzles me, I still have no idea where to look. We definitely haven’t done any changes to the session management that could affect creation of new sessions. The only thing that could somehow affect is that UE always enables Unicode support when it opens. So, my question is: what versions of Oracle (server and client) are you using? Another question: have you tried changing the National Language Support level preference in your Nav 5.5? If not, please try to set it to Display and Edit Multi-Byte Data, then restart Nav and try to connect. Please send us your observations.

Thanks,
Roman


#9

My DB version is 9.2.0.5.0
You’ll have to give me instructions on how to get my client version.

I changed my National Language Support level preference in your Nav 5.5 to what you specified and I received the attached error. Then I had to use Task Manager to close the application. I changed it back to No Support and I can connect fine.

My SQL Nav 6 beta3 is set to No Support but I still get the error.

Thanks.
-Charlie
error.jpeg


#10

Basically, the fact that you get this error in 5.5 means that you have a problem with Unicode support at the client level.
You can get info about your client(s) if you click the ellipses button next to Oracle Home/Client field in the Oracle Logon dialog. If you have several Oracle homes (clients), then I would suggest you switch to another one. Otherwise, all I can recommend is re-install the client (or upgrade to the highest version you can get).

UE relies on Oracle’s Unicode support, and I don’t know yet how to detect any problems with it…

Hope this helps,
Roman


#11

Another way of getting Oracle client version is:

  1. to go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs\
  2. and open log file (like this one: installActions2006-07-10_10-53-30AM.log)
  3. nearly at the end of this big file you find a list of all oracle files and their versions

INFO: Current Inventory:
Oracle Home: OraClient10g_home1
Sun JDK extensions 10.1.2.0.0
Sun JDK 1.4.2.0.8
Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2.0.0

Oracle SQLJ 10.2.0.1.0
Oracle Client 10.2.0.1.0

Andrew


#12

the Client I was using was 8.0.6.0.0.
I switched to another Oracle home I had, version 9.0.1.3.0, and it WORKS!

I am back in business. I don’t know if you want to check the client version in your code and display a message saying your client version needs to be at least x.x.x.x. That might be more helpful for the other users when this gets released.

Thanks.
-Charlie


#13

It’s a great news! So now you can start really beta-testing our product. Hope to get a lot of feedback from you soon.

I’ll have to find out since which version of the client Unicode support works reliably and add a warning when the active client version is below that.

Regards,
Roman