Toad World® Forums

External editor

Okay, call me stupid, but I saw the feature to edit code in a text editor of my choice and I set my settings for all SQL models to open in Notepad++. However, right clicking on the SQL section of my stored procedures does not allow me to do so. I’m not seeing anything elsewhere in the app to use this feature. What am I missing?

Hello,

Thanks for this very good question. Let me provide you with more details on this issue.

The external editor only allows you to open the file with generated SQL, it doesn’t allow you to edit all SQL codes.

This feature has been meant to allow users to view the generated SQL code in the program they prefer, and possibly execute the script from there.

How it works:

1. Select Settings | Options | Model section and your database.
  2. From the Select Code Editor Type box, select Use Custom Editor.
  3. In the External Editor for Generated Code box, write a path to the program that should run + parameter %CODE_FILE_NAME% that shows a path to the generated file.
    Different programs can have a different syntax.
    Example:
    c:\Program Files\Inno Setup 5\Compil32.exe %CODE_FILE_NAME%

Dillie, if you have any questions, please write us back. Thanks!

Vladka + TDM Team

Awesome! I just updated my settings and things work great.

Oh, one thing I noticed, is that I’m getting a language issue again in the title bar for Generate Code. See attachment.
tdmexportlanguage.jpeg

Thanks for your feedback!

… language issue again in the title bar for Generate Code…

Yes, the title of the dialog and also an issue on the Entity List tab - we know about it and will fix it ASAP.

Thanks again.

Vladka

Great feature. I like it a lot and it works great. I did notice the dialog can expand past the screen width if you do a “show log” and therefore you just need to resize the dialog.

Hello,

Thanks for your remark! We’ll have a look at it.

Regards,

Vladka