Toad World® Forums

Feedback on build 817

Here is some feedback and potential bugs on build 817 for you guys. Hopefully there aren’t many repeats of comments from others, since I haven’t had time to read the whole forum yet.

1. the Debug menu is currently empty

2. when trying to extract ddl for a user I get
    “Task “Extract DDL for 1 object(s)” in DoTerminate(): Interface not supported”
    Similar error when pressing the “Script” button on the user editor

3. I can’t seem to reproduce this one yet, but I had a case where I was creating a user and when the Save As box comes up, there were quotes around the name I had provided. Of course, this causes case to be respected, and I then got an error “13:27:43 Oracle Dictionary: CMM569560 not found” when saving since it actually saved it as “cmm569560”

4. in the SQL Editor I can’t control-click on a tablename in my query. In Sqlnav 5, I could do this and it was very convenient

5. I can’t find an option to turn off the “synonyms” node in the db navigator. While it may be useful in a production environment, it’s really just kind of annoying in dev.

6. code completion for the following example is not working:

select * from kvsr_temp
where exists (select 1 from kpi_user_value kuv
where kuv.kpi_sid = kvsr_temp.currency_cd
)

It seems to work when trying to complete columns for the outer table, but not the inner query. i.e. when I type “kvsr_temp.” it completes, but if I type “kuv.” it flashes that it’s populating the list and then nothing.

1. find / replace does not seem to be working at all. Paste the same query from above in an editor and search for “kvsr” Should be found, but focus goes away entirely when you press the “Find” button

2. this is more usability, but I find it very distracting when the editor is always switching tabs on me. I tried setting “cursor focus stays in the sql query after exec” in the preference, but it only seems to apply to when there is just 1 statement in the editor. I routinely have a bunch of sql in the editor and run just one piece of it, but this makes me do a lot of clicking I didn’t have to do before

3. when at the end of a line, the right-arrow at end of line does not take you to the beginning of the next line

4. bracket matching should not match with brackets inside a comment. For example, with this piece of SQL:

select * from kvsr_temp
WHERE EXISTS (
SELECT 1
FROM kpi_user_value kuv
WHERE kuv.kpi_sid = kvsr_temp.kpi_sid
AND kuv.time_period_sid = kvsr_temp.time_period_sid
AND (kuv.unit_lookup_id =
(SELECT unit_lookup_id
FROM kpi_class_currency
inner join global_constant gc
WHERE kpi_class_sid = kvsr_temp.kpi_class_sid
AND currency_cd = coalesce(kvsr_temp.currency_cd, gc.currency_cd)
)
– OR (kvsr_temp.currency_cd is null and kuv.unit_lookup_id is null)
)
)

If you put your cursor on the bracket in line 7, you will notice that it is matching with the close bracket in the commented out line. This was ok in Sqlnav 5

1. if I right-click on a table and select Quick Metadata I get the message
    “Task “Quick Metadata for 1 object(s)” in DoTerminate(): Interface not supported”
    Same thing for Extract DDL

2. if I click on the script icon in table edit I get: “Interface not supported”

3. if I’m in the script editor and I click on the drop down next to the connect button, this used to let me change the user that I run the script as. Now it just sends me to the db navigator for that separate session meaning I’ve got to keep a script window open for each session I have.

4. last thing…I promise. I can’t seem to find the SQL Editor button, or any button to bring up the editor. I’ve been using File -> New File -> SQL Script. Can you point out the obvious thing I must be overlooking?

That’s all for now. Hope this helps.

DK

1. Not sure which menu you are referring to…
    If you turn on the debugging (by clicking the ‘Start Debugging’ button), the menu should become active (see attachment).

2. Yes… I have replicated this (in the DB Nav Tree). Thanks for finding this!!

3. We will investigate this one. Please give us more information on this, if you manage to reliably reproduce it.

4. Noted… I will raise an enhancement request, to make this consistent with the old editor.

5. Please confirm… do you mean the synonyms node in the ‘DB Explorer’ (new Code Editor)? If yes, there is no option to turn it off. Wee will discuss your request though. It hasn’t been mentioned until now. In what way do you find it annoying?

6. We will investigate this… thanks for the heads-up.

7. There is still issues with the Find and Replace. Please recheck this in the next beta drop.

8. So are you saying that if you only run a part of the entire script, you do not want to see the results of that query? Perhaps I am missing your point here. Please further explain, as we need this kind of feedback re the Code Editor.

9. Noted… this is a regression problem… we did fix this one… thanks for pointing it out.

10. We will investigate this one further… thanks for the detail.

11. Yes… I have replicated this (in the DB Nav Tree). Thanks for finding this one too (similar to issue 2)!!

12. Yes… I have replicated this. Thanks for finding this one!!

13. Yes, the architecture of the new code editor means that you cannot switch to different sessions. To get around this, we have added the ability to copy all or part of the editors content to another session. If you look at attachment 2, it will show you the menu option required to perform this. Right click in the editor > File > Copy to session > [select the required session].
    Please try this out, and let us know if it caters for your required workflow.

14. The old editor has been removed!! Seems a bit drastic I know. But it will be a logistical nightmare to support both editors. So we have decided to remove it. Our aim is to make the new Code Editor replace the old editor. So feedback from users like yourself, is vital in achieving this.

Thanks very much for this feedback DK!! It has been excellent (and none of it was duplicated).
Please do give us more (when you get a chance) and please get back to us on the above questions.

• Jaime -
    start_debugging.jpeg

1. Not sure which menu you are referring to…
    If you turn on the debugging (by clicking the ‘Start Debugging’ button), the menu should become active (see attachment).

2. Yes… I have replicated this (in the DB Nav Tree). Thanks for finding this!!

3. We will investigate this one. Please give us more information on this, if you manage to reliably reproduce it.

4. Noted… I will raise an enhancement request, to make this consistent with the old editor.

5. Please confirm… do you mean the synonyms node in the ‘DB Explorer’ (new Code Editor)? If yes, there is no option to turn it off. Wee will discuss your request though. It hasn’t been mentioned until now. In what way do you find it annoying?

6. We will investigate this… thanks for the heads-up.

7. There is still issues with the Find and Replace. Please recheck this in the next beta drop.

8. So are you saying that if you only run a part of the entire script, you do not want to see the results of that query? Perhaps I am missing your point here. Please further explain, as we need this kind of feedback re the Code Editor.

9. Noted… this is a regression problem… we did fix this one… thanks for pointing it out.

10. We will investigate this one further… thanks for the detail.

11. Yes… I have replicated this (in the DB Nav Tree). Thanks for finding this one too (similar to issue 2)!!

12. Yes… I have replicated this. Thanks for finding this one!!

13. Yes, the architecture of the new code editor means that you cannot switch to different sessions. To get around this, we have added the ability to copy all or part of the editors content to another session. If you look at attachment 2, it will show you the menu option required to perform this. Right click in the editor > File > Copy to session > [select the required session].
    Please try this out, and let us know if it caters for your required workflow.

14. The old editor has been removed!! Seems a bit drastic I know. But it will be a logistical nightmare to support both editors. So we have decided to remove it. Our aim is to make the new Code Editor replace the old editor. So feedback from users like yourself, is vital in achieving this.

Thanks very much for this feedback DK!! It has been excellent (and none of it was duplicated).
Please do give us more (when you get a chance) and please get back to us on the above questions.

• Jaime -
    copy_to_session.jpeg

In response to your comments:

1. I was referring to the “Debug” menu right on the main menu bar (between Tools and something else - not in front of it right now)

2. will work on reproducing this

3. Well, I feel stupid even saying this since it’s such a small thing. It’s not that it’s an annoyance realloy, it’s just that your mind get’s tricked for a split second when you expand the node when you see something show up. Then you say “Oh, it’s just the Synonyms thing”. For example, one of the things I’ll commonly do is run a script (in another window) to clear out my schema, and I just want to verify that all the objects got dropped. So I’ll use the DB Navigator to quickly check that there are no objects. Clicking the “+” used to just make the plus go away when there were no objects. Now, it opens, and there is a node there, that I have to mentally filter out. I know, I know, it’s such a stupid thing, but it’s just a habit I’ve gotten into.

As I think I mentioned before, I can see this being of more use in my production environment, where it’s more likely that there is a more secure setup with synonyms to objects, and anonymous database accounts etc. But in development, it’s really just something I would ignore.

Since I think this is something that is likely really a personal preference, this was the source of my comment.

1. This is another really simple thing, where I think it’s more just a matter of me being used to the way the old nav worked. What I found was that it was a little inconsistent.
    a) if you ran a single query it stayed on the same tab
    b) if you ran a selection of text in the editor (or you didn’t have the “stay on same tab” option selected) it moved you to a new results tab
    More than once, I was tricked into tryiing to change the text in the pane before realizing that it was read-only and I had to go back to the first tab. All I would ask is that the “stay on same tab” option applies regardless of whether the entire editor contains one statement, or if I’ve just selected one statement to run. I do want to see the results though.

Is that any clearer?

1. So how do you envision people just starting an ad-hoc sql script? The way I described? Is there a toolbar button to start the UE?

Hope this helps.

DK

1. The penny drops… We have removed that Debug menu option, as we have moved the debugger controls to the Code Editor (as per my previous screen shot). You must’ve upgraded from an earlier beta version (that still had the menu option) and elected to keep your old menu layout during the first time startup options. This is an oversight on our part. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!!
    If you Reset your Main Menu (as per attachment 1) you can fix this error.

2. It’s a valid point… we will discuss the possibility of an option to show and hide the synonyms (although we don’t want to add too many more options as it can become cumbersome).

3. Yes! this is clearer. This is one area that we do need to do a little work on. Unfortunately, due to the architecture differences in the new editor component, we cannot mimic the exact behaiour of the old editor (in relation to this preference). But we do have some ideas on how to make workflow closer to the old editor. Hopefully we will have some changes for you to review in the very near future.

4. The quickest way is to click the ‘New Tab’ button on the editor’s toolbar (see attachment 2) <Ctrl+T> shortcut.
    This will open a fresh tab with a new SQL editor for the current session.
    Remember that the Code Editor is now for both adhoc SQL and for stored programs etc. There is now only the one multifunctional editor. Not multiple editors as in the current GA versions of SQL Nav.

Please let me know if anything I have said is not clear.

• Jaime -
    new_tab.jpeg

1. The penny drops… We have removed that Debug menu option, as we have moved the debugger controls to the Code Editor (as per my previous screen shot). You must’ve upgraded from an earlier beta version (that still had the menu option) and elected to keep your old menu layout during the first time startup options. This is an oversight on our part. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!!
    If you Reset your Main Menu (as per attachment 1) you can fix this error.

2. It’s a valid point… we will discuss the possibility of an option to show and hide the synonyms (although we don’t want to add too many more options as it can become cumbersome).

3. Yes! this is clearer. This is one area that we do need to do a little work on. Unfortunately, due to the architecture differences in the new editor component, we cannot mimic the exact behaiour of the old editor (in relation to this preference). But we do have some ideas on how to make workflow closer to the old editor. Hopefully we will have some changes for you to review in the very near future.

4. The quickest way is to click the ‘New Tab’ button on the editor’s toolbar (see attachment 2) <Ctrl+T> shortcut.
    This will open a fresh tab with a new SQL editor for the current session.
    Remember that the Code Editor is now for both adhoc SQL and for stored programs etc. There is now only the one multifunctional editor. Not multiple editors as in the current GA versions of SQL Nav.

Please let me know if anything I have said is not clear.

• Jaime -
    main_menu_reset.jpeg

OK - I think we’re getting to the end here.

1. Yes, indeed - I reset the main menu and the empty menu is gone. Thanks for that.

2. OK - so I see how one would keep adding new sheets, but how do you invoke the editor in the first place? I don’t really want to edit a stored proc just to get the editor up so that I can press the New Tab button and create an ad-hoc script. Kind of a chicken and egg thing if you see where I’m going.

Thanks for your continued interest in my anal retentive ramblings The product is miles ahead of when I started using it in '94.

1. If you create a new session (i.e. connection) in SQL Nav, an editor for that session is automatically invoked.
    The Code Editor is session specific, so you can’t (initially) have a session without and editor.

(I.e.: if you have 10 SQL Nav sessions open, there will also be 10 Code Editors open)

If you have SQL Nav open with no connections (i.e. no sessions) established, and then go to the ‘View’ menu and select > ‘Code Editor’:
An editor will open (with no connection). You can use this editor to create sql, but can never assign it to a connection (you can transfer the SQL in it to a different session, as previously explained).

If you close the editor, you will be prompted to close the session or leave it open. If you leave the session open with no editor, and want to then open an editor for that session… View > Code Editor will open an editor and assign it to the current Nav session.

Hope I’m not confusing you here!!
(I think I confused myself)

• Jaime -

Hi again,

Your post has prompted some very constructive discussion amongst the SQL Nav team here (which is a good thing!!)

We are assuming that you cannot see the Code Editor button in your toolbar layout (refer to the attached pic). If you cannot see this button, please (close SQL Nav) and delete this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 6.0.0 Beta\Main Form\ExpressBars
The same upgrade error that caused your Debug menu error, may have caused this button to be missing.
The next time SQL Nav starts, you should now see the Code Editor button…

We are going to change the workflow for the ‘Code Editor’ button and the <Ctrl+M> shortcut (see attached image). When you click this button (located on the main toolbar, not the Code Editor’s toolbar)… it will shift focus to the Code Editor for the currently active session, and open a new tab (i.e. a blank editor) so that the workflow is similar to the old editor. You can click the button and start typing your SQL.

Currently, this button will shift focus back to the Code Editor, but will not create a new work area. If you are already viewing the Code Editor, then clicking this button appears to do nothing (which can be confusing).
This change will be available in the next beta drop.
Let us know what you think!!

Good news…
Issues 2, 11 and 12 are fixed in the build we are currently testing (build 820).

• Jaime -
    code_editor_button.jpeg

Thanks for the update. I’ll have to reread this thread when I’m in front of my PC tomorrow.

Using my mac right now…put in mac support for the next drop, will you? :slight_smile:

Ahhh… another Mac user… I use Mac at home and PC at work (I prefer the Mac ).
…don’t like your chances of using SQL Nav on the Mac any time soon though!!
I’ve just finished setting up MYSQL on my new MacBook Pro (very nice).

• Jaime -

LOL…MacBook Pro here as well.

I suppose I could always get Parallels or something like that and run it. :slight_smile: SQL Developer just doesn’t cut it.

I was in the VMWARE FUSION beta program…
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
It’s the best virtualization software that I have used on the Mac.
I can highly recommend it. Very stable and very fast.
(for the times when you just have to run a PC app on your Mac)

• Jaime -

So a few questions to hopefully close the loop on the code editor workflow.

First, you made the comment earlier that you HAVE to have an editor open for every connection. This means a lot more windows open for two reasons:

1. there is at least one editor per session

2. there is no longer the ability to share editors between sessions

3. As an example, where before I could have three DB Navigators open (and JUST the navigators) to monitor what was going on in my schemas as a job was running, I will now have to have three editors open as well, since they open as soon as I connect.

4. Also, there seems to be (almost complete) overlap between the DB Explorer tab in the code editor and the DB Navigator (pressing F12). I assume this is not an accident and that one of them will be going away?

5. Please don’t take these comments as whining (although I have been known to do that too). I’m just trying to get my head around the new paradigms being introduced.

1. Correct (the editor opens by default, but you can close it, leaving the session open).

2. Correct (but you can share the editor’s content between sessions).

3. You can still do this (refer to 1).
    ** Perhaps we should add the user preference: ‘Do not launch a Code Editor for each new session’ ??

4. There is overlap… initially there wasn’t much, but as things progress, the overlap has definitely increased.
    You cannot do any user maintenance (one example) from the new DB Explorer. And there are no plans to ad this.
    There are also no plans to make the DB Explorer completely replace the DB Navigator (so you assumption is incorrect).

5. Absolutely not!! You have raised some excellent points in your thread. And as I said earlier, have got the team discussing these points vehemently. We’ve even changed a workflow based on your comments.

I’m not saying that the new Code Editor is the be-all and end-all of SQL editors. It was initially introduced as it has full unicode support. And things have just evolved from there.
The user workflows in the code editor vary from: ‘similar to’ to ‘quite different from’ the old editor… but we feel that overall, the usability is better. Yes, there will be a learning curve for the long time SQL Nav users… but we have been working hard to ensure that the curve in minimal. And will continue to work hard, based on feedback like yours. The code editor has enhanced functionality that blows the old editor out-of-the-water.

As you say, the paradigm is different.
Previously you may have ten editors attached to one session. Now you have one editor with ten worksheets (TABS) attached to one session. Making it much easier to control, and share code between those worksheets.

Thanks again for your participation in this community DK!! Much appreciated.

• Jaime -

1b. Regarding the overlap in the DB Explorer and DB Navigator…there may be some confusion as to why right-clicking on an object in one place gives a different context menu than right-clicking somewhere else. Also, if the DB explorer is meant to be a smaller slimmer DB Navigator, I would suggest that it could be made more straightforward by not including all other schemas in the tree - they’re available in the DB Navigator. Just my $0.02

2b. Sidenote: should the Compile shortcut key work in the DB Exporer? Doesn’t seem to.

3b. I really like the idea that the editor now supports Unicode (although I haven’t tried it yet). Our application has to support 22 languages, so in the past I’ve logged several bugs with development in this area. I’ll have to give it a go to see what I can break :slight_smile:

4b. Unfortunately, the combination of things that I’ve found not working (Find/Replace, Extract DDL, right-arrow not going to the next line) make this build too awkward to use, so I find myself using V5.x for real work and spending time in the beta build when I’m trying to break things.

5b. Any idea when the next build will drop?

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for all the feedback.

We are planning to send the next Beta build out by this Friday. The build would address a number of issues you have reported earlier.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

One thing I should qualify…
The Unicode support is for browsing and editing data in the data grid(s).
It does not cover the VOEs, i.e. creating objects and editing object properties using foreign characters.

The majority of our support issues in relation to Unicode has been the viewing and editing of the data.

• Jaime -

1. We’ll take your comments on board (no, really… we will).

2. Good spotting!! We’ll get that fixed :O)

3. Do your worst… we dare you!!

4. Well you’ve done pretty well at finding breaks for us… so far.

5. Refer to Bruce’s post.

• Jaime -

Hi Bruce,

I don’t want to bother you…
Just a question: Is there a new date for the next build (because last Friday is over)?

Best Regards
Andre