Toad World® Forums

Feedbacks on 'Enable header' option in the Formatter

Hi guys,

We made a small modification on the Formatter header and would like to know your opinions about this change.

Originally, the formatter header was always on the first line of the page. As a result, when you saved a stored object, this first line was ignored. We made changes in the previous version so that this line would be appended at the end instead and hence was retained when saving. However, some customers complained about this change because it would mean a footer was added; not a header.
We made changes again this time for this option. If it’s a script, the header will be on the first line. If it’s a stored object, it will be right after the object declaration line. Love it or hate it? Please express your opinions here.

Thanks
Gwen

formatter_header.gif

Hi Gwen,
because I already use this location for my unit short documentation,
it’s very likely that the new position of the formatter header could cause a mess somehow.
This place it excellent for documentation because the “Public to Spec” function
takes it over into the spec where it is accessibly for other programmers.
Maybe I’m to fearful ? :slight_smile:

Regards Andre
Pic_Procedure.jpeg

Hi Gwen,
because I already use this location for my unit short documentation,
it’s very likely that the new position of the formatter header could cause a mess somehow.
This place it excellent for documentation because the “Public to Spec” function
takes it over into the spec where it is accessibly for other programmers.
Maybe I’m to fearful ? :slight_smile:

Regards Andre
Pic_Function.jpeg

Hi Andre,

For package, that line will be inserted right under the package declaration line. It wouldn’t mess up the comments for member functions/procedures.

Gwen
formatter_package.gif

Hi Gwen,

I’m sorry,you are absolutely right. I was too overeager.
My packages also have such a short documentation.
However, it does not seem to be a problem.

Thanks and Regards
Andre

Hi Gwen

Could not the place be an option? if people want it in the new place or the old one?

I see an issue when trying to compare the code…and all the code being equal but different time of formatting…

Unless it’s marked differently like the Advices and a new option is made in the compare tool to ignore those entries

Filipe

Hi Filipe, it may not be a good idea to bring in such an option. Still there would be difference even we place the header at the same place, because the formatted date time would change. I suggest disable the header when we need to compare the source. User can disable it in Formatter Options | General | Header pane. Or we can provide an option in SQL Nav preferences for Extract DDL to let user choose include header or not. What’s your opinion?

Thanks,
Vincent