Toad World® Forums

Few words about sql editor

Hi,
I had some sql work today, and decided use new beta… (I’ll be honest for huge sql code developing I prefer notepad++ as text editor…and Nav 5.5 as executor…)

1. Editor/Editing is SLOW. When U move cursor text is blinking - not acceptable for every day working with this editor. I think U are doing some unnecessary reparse in background…

2. Focusing on error in sql code - after error:
    2.1syntax word has changed color and background - very annoying when U want to select this word (for delete for example), background color is not changing.
    THIS WORD should be just highlited, just to see what is wrong, there is no need to change font/background colour until next run. Please do some sql work with that, this is not good feature.
    2.2. Posiotion of cursor - cursor always go to the bottom of the statement, but should go to the error. When U have huge sql, finding what part of sql has error takes a lot of time - this should be done automaticly.

3. When U open new editor with disabled auto reparse option (what is it for?), type some sql and F9 - there is message: No text to run.

Best Regards P.

Hi Piter,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have a few questions to clarify what you mean.

1. I haven’t noticed any blinking of text while moving the cursor (do you mean the mouse cursor?). Does it always happen or only under some special conditions? We are not doing any reparsing in the background (unless the text has changed), only search for the variables and objects with the names that are under the cursor. But this shouldn’t cause any ‘blinking’, you may only see the hint describing the name under the cursor, above it.

2.1. Are you talking about error highlighting? What do you mean by ‘sql work’?
2.2. We always place the caret to the error position given by Oracle. If it happens to be the bottom of the statement, there’s nothing we can do. If, for example, you used an invalid table or column name, the name would be highlighted and clicking the error message ‘invalid identifier’ would take the caret to the first character of the name.

1. Fair enough. I think the Auto Reparse option can be safely removed. I think it was introduced for the performance reasons to avoid delays when editing large packages, for example. Please ignore it unless you really need it. The issue you reported is however a bug.

Best regards,
Roman

I’ve raised story 49367993 for the issue 2.1 (if it’s the same issue): text selection can’t be seen because of error highlight.

Hi Roman,
thanx for reply,
ad. 1 Watch clip6. At first there is cursor movement using arrows in sql Editor window, and after while, I’ve changed to View editor - there is no blinking.

ad.2 Yes exactly, error highliting.
ad.2.2. After raising error, caret goes to the end of statement, but I think it would be better to go directly to first error. clip7. yes i know that clicking on error message points into the error place, but in sql we can go directly to first error, because it could be only one at the same time.

By the way, I discovered some parsing errors.
I have table with column named “function”.
When I try :
select function from table a;
It works,
when I try:
select a.function from table a;
there is an error, watch clip8.

And, there is another parsing problem, query works in nav 5.5 but not working in beta . Tomorrow I will find what is the problem. clip9 - as U can see problem is in column alias ;).

Regards P.
clip0007.rar (753 KB)

Hi Roman,
thanx for reply,
ad. 1 Watch clip6. At first there is cursor movement using arrows in sql Editor window, and after while, I’ve changed to View editor - there is no blinking.

ad.2.2. After raising error, caret goes to the end of statement, but I think it would be better to go directly to first error. clip7. yes i know that clicking on error message points into the error place, but in sql we can go directly to first error, because it could be only one at the same time.

When I try :
It works,
when I try:

And, there is another parsing problem, query works in nav 5.5 but not working in beta . Tomorrow I will find what is the problem. clip9 - as U can see problem is in column alias ;).

Regards P.
clip0008.rar (48.2 KB)

Hi Roman,
thanx for reply,

When I try :
It works,
when I try:

Regards P.
clip0006.rar (129 KB)

Hi Roman,
thanx for reply,

When I try :
It works,
when I try:

Regards P.
clip0009.rar (1.07 MB)

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your kindly clips and your explanations, that really helped, so nice of you to do that.

For the issues you mentioned, we will take care one by one, now I will give some details here so that we can track easily in the future.

1. The blinking issue in code editor when move cursor. I have raised PT#49579017 for it.

2.2. cursor should go to the first error directly rather than go to the bottom, I raised PT#49579411

1. No text to run error when set reparse option off, PT#49384305

2. column named “function”, some queries don’t work well, PT#49580101

Question:
The issue you reported in clip0009, I am not sure if it’s the same problem with what you posted in “With Param SQL”? Or it’s a different one? The link: http://sqlnavigator.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=38930&tstart=0

Thanks again Peter for your feedback.

Best regards,
Shirly

Yes, Shirly, this is the same problem.

Regards P.

Ahh, I forgot to add:
I hope SO, that this is the same problem…because this problem is in different query and different error message is displayed…

Regards P.

Hi Piter,

Here I would like to make an update for all the issues you mentioned before.

1. The blinking issue, our dev team has made some changes for it, but I can still see some blinking, you might see as well. Some of them are caused by the bracket matching as expected. And as it exists in 6.7 and our dev team can’t do much to remove it totally, we will keep what we have for now.

2.1 When double-clicking a word that has error highlight, blue selection doesn’t appear.

Has been fixed, any issue found please let us know.

2.2 cursor should go to the first error directly rather than go to the bottom.

1. Has been fixed. The “Auto Reparse” option is now a per-tab option instead of global. However when you new a code editor tab, the status of auto reparse will be inherited by your last change for this option.

2. column named “function”, some queries don’t work well.

Thank you again Piter for all your feedback. :slight_smile:

Thank,

Shirly

Hi Piter,

We posted out a new beta build 2962 today which should fix all the issues above. Could you please download and have a check see if you are happy with the changes? Thanks.

You can download here:

www.toadworld.com/…/19982.aspx

Thanks,

Shirly