Toad World® Forums

Find Objects documentation bug?


#1

Hello,
I don’t know if this is really a bug, but for sure it was working differently in SQLNav 3.

I found out the hard way that the Find Objects search does a case sensitive search, while I thought it was case insensitive by default (like it was in version 3).

If this is expected functionality, then it should be documented at least in the help file, while right now it doesn’t say anything about the case sensitiveness of the search.

Maybe it is too obvious for an hard core user of the latest versions, but for a newbie it may not be very clear.

Thanks,
Paolo


#2

Hi!
This must be case sensitive , because for example java object cold be named in lowercase …

Regards Piter


#3

Hi Paolo,

As there may be other SQLNav 3 users like yourself coming across to the newer version of SQLNav, we will definitely take your feedback onboard in terms of ensuring a smooth transition for those users. Thanks again for your feedback.

regards,

Bernard


#4

Hi Paolo,

We have investigated your issue further by doing a comparison between Nav 3 and Nav 6 Beta and we found that the behaviour appears to be identical (please see attached screenshots) in that the search was case insensitive by default.

We are really curious about the steps you took that led you to this issue so could you please provide more details (a screenshot would be really great if possible). Thank you.

regards,

Bernard


#5

Hi Paolo,

We have investigated your issue further by doing a comparison between Nav 3 and Nav 6 Beta and we found that the behaviour appears to be identical (please see attached screenshots) in that the search was case insensitive by default.

We are really curious about the steps you took that led you to this issue so could you please provide more details (a screenshot would be really great if possible). Thank you.

regards,

Bernard


#6

Try to find %atest%


#7

Hi Steve,

The Find Object functionality has been improved to allow you to specify whether the search is case sensitive or not. This will be in the next Beta build.

Also thanks to Piter for his additional comments.

regards,

Bernard


#8

Bernard,
I retried and I guess I found out the reason of the problem.

I mistakenly added at the end of the search string a space, so it couldn’t find the object I was looking for.
I retyped it in a different case (and obviously without the space) and I could find it.

So, it looks like that it was my mistake, sorry.
Anyway, it could be nice to have the search string stripped of leading and trailing spaces.

Thanks,
Paolo


#9

Hi Paolo,

No problem at all. Glad you managed to get it working to your liking. You have raised another good point in regards to leading and trailing spaces and this will be evaluated for the next Beta build. Thanks again for your feedback.

regards,

Bernard