Freeware 5.8.1.916 will not install over previous version(s)

Hi there,

I am a long time happy user of the free version. On my Windows 7 x64 PC I had version 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8.0.831 installed.

Tried to install 5.8.1.916: it failed on error 1316. I followed the instructions on your website and managed to uninstall all 3 previous versions with Microsoft Fixit (sort of…). After nearly two hours, I had the installations removed from the configuration panel. I checked and found that C:\program files(x86)\Quest Software had still the directories and lots of files for 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8, but unusable.

Now to install the new version. It attempts to remove an older version and fails with an error (no number) that translates from French into something like “This action is only valid for products already installed”.

So, to sum il all, no way to get 5.8.1.916 to install on this machine.

Thanks for your suggestions.

José Constant

The MS Tool is supposed to remove the program so that you don’t need to uninstall it again. Could you please run it again and remove TSS 5.8? Please also delete all letover files in Quest Software folder.
If it still does not work, Please open registry and remove the node
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall{D7173F58-1DF4-4968-815C-34B8B03875DB}

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tip! Removing the registry key forced Toad to reinstall. All is fine now.

A big thank you!