Toad World® Forums

High CPU usage on Beta 3


#1

FYI. I just downloade the beta version of Toad Data Modeler. In my first test I reverse-engineered a db. My system was pretty sluggish so I checked the processes through the task manager and noticed that the software was utilizing most of my CPU power.

I closed the software and re-started it. This second time I just opened the diagram I had saved (didn’t go through the reverse-eng. process) and the CPU usage was still high.

I closed and re-started it again. This time without loading my saved diagram and the CPU usage was still high.

I then closed the default diagram that opens up with the (Videorental) and my CPU usage went down to normal. I re-opened the Videorental sample and the CPU usage spiked up again.

Starting the program up and letting it sit idle without any diagrams loaded opens 13 threads and the CPU usage oscillates between 1 to about 30+ % (“thirty plus” percent).

After loading the Videorental sample I have 16 threads running and CPU usage oscillates between upper 60+ % to about 70+ %

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jose Lopez


#2

Hello Jose,

Thanks for your feedback.

I’d like to ask you for more details on your PC. Please write us what PC you have.

Here are the optimal requirements for TDM3:
Pentium dual core, 1 GB of memory, 200 MB hard disk space, Windows 2000/XP OS.

Thanks for the details.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team


#3

Viadka,

Hi. I’m testing TDM3 on an IBM Thinkpad T42 with the following specs:

Processor: 1.7GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 40GB (6+ GB free space after page file usage)
OS: Windows XP Professional with SP2 and up-to-date patches

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jose Lopez


#4

Hello Jose,

Thanks for the details. I’ve forwarded this issue to our testers for further verification. - CR # 37 310.
As soon as I have any details from them, or questions for you, I’ll write you back.

For now, thanks very much for your co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka


#5

Viadka,

I found a pattern as follows:

I Open TDM3 and load the Videorental (1.1.1) and the CPU spikes up to 100% usage

I click on the bottom area where you have the columns “Id” “Date” “Time” “Message”… the CPU usage goes back to normal

If I click back on the workspace area (All Items in this case) the CPU spikes up again

If I click on any of the top menu bar items the CPU usage goes back to normal.

It seems that the problem is when the Workspace area has focus.

Send me an e-mail offline so I can send you some screenshots of the explained above if you think it is necessary.

Anyway… I hope this helps.
Take care,

Jose Lopez


#6

Hello Jose,

Yes, the screenshots may come in handy to us. If you are so kind, please send them to: modeling@quest.com.

Thank you!

Vladka + TDM Team


#7

Vladka,

Hi. Thanks for following up with me on this. I’ll reply here for the benefit of others who may read this thread.

I uninstalled the beta version and downloaded/installed the newly released version (3.0.11.11) and the problem is gone. The CPU usage is normal.

Best regards,

Jose Lopez


#8

Great! Happy to hear it works properly. :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting us know!

Vladka