Toad World® Forums

How can I import multiple SQL Server Transactions into Benchmark factory as I set up a job...

Hi

I was wondering how I can import multiple SQL Server Transactions into Benchmark factory as I set up a job…

For example, I have many scripts which call stored procedures, where for examplea script look something like this…

EXEC MyStoredProcedure, param1, param2,param3,param4

Can I import all of these calls as separate SQL Statements easily, or do I need to copy and paste each EXEC statement, one at a time ?

This is a process I need to repeat regularly I wondered if anybody knows how I might do this ?

Kind Regards.

There are a few ways to get what you need done and here are the top two ways. Without more information I am not sure which is best for you.

• You can import a text file with the SQL into Benchmark Factory as a user scenario which will run all the SQL imported from the text file serially. This may not be what you are trying to accomplish since you may want all the SQL to be executed by different users parallely.

• The easiest way is to use BFScripts. BFScripts is a macro language that can be used in several places within BMF to randomize data/SQL. You could create a custom Mix test and add a single SQL statement, but instead of the actual SQL you can use the BFScript;

$BFFileArray(“C:\SQLOnly.txt”,SEQUENTIAL)

The above BFScript will read in the SQL in the file of SQLOnly.txt which is a simple text file which uses to indicate the end of the row/SQL. The SQL will be read in SEQUENTIAL for each execution. So if the SQL file contained the below;

EXEC MyStoredProcedure1, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure2, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure3, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure4, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure5, param1, param2,param3,param4

The first time the statement is executed it will execute the MyStoredProcedure1 SQL, the following execution it will be MyStoredProcedure2, etc.

You can change the SEQUENTIAL to be RANDOM which will random select one of the SQL contained in the file. Doing it this way all you would need to change is the SQL file whenever the SQLs change. Now executing this way you will not get a breakdown on how the exact SQL performed but a overall performance of all the SQL.

I hope this helps.

Hi Kevin

Thanks so much for this.

I wish I’d asked months ago. I’ll not tell you how many jobs I have manually set up, copying & parting individual transactions !!!

Thanks again.

Ian Currie.

From: Kevin Dalton [mailto:bounce-Kevin_Dalton@toadworld.com]

Sent: 11 February 2014 14:42

To: bmf@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Benchmark Factoryfor Databases - Discussion Forum] How can I import multiple SQL Server Transactions into Benchmark factory as I set up a job…

RE: How can I import multiple SQL Server Transactions into Benchmark factory as I set up a job…

Reply by Kevin Dalton

There are a few ways to get what you need done and here are the top two ways. Without more information I am not sure which is best for you.

• You can import a text file with the SQL into Benchmark Factory as a user scenario which will run all the SQL imported from the text file serially. This may not be what you are trying to accomplish
    since you may want all the SQL to be executed by different users parallely.

• The easiest way is to use BFScripts. BFScripts is a macro language that can be used in several places within BMF to randomize data/SQL. You could create a custom Mix test and add a single
    SQL statement, but instead of the actual SQL you can use the BFScript;

$BFFileArray(“C:\SQLOnly.txt”,SEQUENTIAL)

The above BFScript will read in the SQL in the file of SQLOnly.txt which is a simple text file which uses to indicate the end of the row/SQL. The SQL will be read in SEQUENTIAL for each execution.
So if the SQL file contained the below;

EXEC MyStoredProcedure1, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure2, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure3, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure4, param1, param2,param3,param4

EXEC MyStoredProcedure5, param1, param2,param3,param4

The first time the statement is executed it will execute the MyStoredProcedure1 SQL, the following execution it will be MyStoredProcedure2, etc.

You can change the SEQUENTIAL to be RANDOM which will random select one of the SQL contained in the file. Doing it this way all you would need to change is the SQL file whenever the SQLs change. Now executing
this way you will not get a breakdown on how the exact SQL performed but a overall performance of all the SQL.

I hope this helps.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Benchmark Factory - General
notifications altogether.

Benchmark Factoryfor Databases - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thomson.co.uk for Holidays, Flights, Hotels, customer reviews and over 2000 videos. Find us at www.thomson.co.uk or on your high street.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER

This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the intended addresses(s). If you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail. Do not disclose copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail.

§ The content of this e-mail is to be read subject to our terms of business, as applicable.

§ E-mail may be intercepted or affected by viruses and we accept no responsibility for any interception or liability for any form of viruses introduced with this e-mail.

§ The sender shall remain solely accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly his or her own and not made in the course of employment.

§ For risk, protection and security purposes, we may monitor e-mails and take appropriate action.

Registered Office: TUI Travel House, Crawley Business Quarter, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 9QL

§ TUI Travel PLC, Registered in England and Wales (Number 6072876)

§ TUI Northern Europe Limited, Registered in England and Wales (Number 3490138)

§ TUI UK Limited, Registered in England and Wales (Number 2830117) ; VAT Number: 233 3687 62

§ Thomson Airways Limited, Registered in England and Wales (Number 444359); VAT Number: 490 2120 79

Telephone: +44 (0)24 7628 2828 | Fax: +44 (0)24 7628 2844