I cannot enter integer values for update a column

Hi

I can select the pencil icon and enable updating of a row after a query has finished, but I can never enter a value into an “int” field because in always says “unparceable integer detected”.

Am I doing anything wrong? It does bring up a drop-down with some integer suggestions, but selecting any of the drop down entries does not work either. It just shows in red and then exiting the field reverts back to the original number.

I’m on windows 7

Betty

What is being modified; value in the result set? A result set value cannot be modified.

Hi

I'm trying to change the data for a column from a row that was selected via and SQL statement.  Is that the result set?

In any case, I can change character columns just fine.  I just cannot change integer columns because the numbers are not recognized as integers.

Betty

On 1/24/2018 11:30 AM, dvohra10 wrote:

** RE: I cannot enter integer values for update a column**

Reply by dvohra10
What is being modified; value in the result set? A result set value cannot be modified.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad Edge - Forum notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

The row of data generated with SQL statement is the query result set. Even the character columns should not be modifiable. Does the modified data get saved? Does the same SQL statement generate a new result set with the modified character column? To modify a data row run a DML (UPDATE SQL statement).

Yes -- I can modify character columns and the data gets saved. I've enclosed a screenshot.

As long as I enable the pencil, I can edit character columns, hit the "check mark" and the data gets saved.   The same SQL statement will general a new result set with the modified column.

Any useful front-end should allow modifying the columns of a row without having to type an SQL statement, and this toad edge apparently does that just fine for character columns.

Betty

On 1/25/2018 10:52 AM, dvohra10 wrote:

Reply by dvohra10
The row of data generated with SQL statement is the query result set. Even the character columns should not be modifiable. Does the modified data get saved? Does the same SQL statement generate a new result set with the modified character column? To modify a data row run a DML (UPDATE SQL statement).

If the integer column being modified is a primary key it won’t be modifiable. Is the integer column a primary key column or some other column?

If ID is a primary key first drop primary key constraint, update int value and subsequently re-add primary key constraint.

ALTER TABLE Tbl MODIFY COLUMN ID INT;
ALTER TABLE Tbl DROP PRIMARY KEY;

//Modify int value

ALTER TABLE Tbl ADD PRIMARY KEY (id);

my column is not a primary key. I can type numbers just fine -- but every integer I type is rejected as a non-reccognizable integer.

On 2/12/2018 1:46 AM, dvohra10 wrote:

Reply by dvohra10
If ID is a primary key first drop primary key constraint, update int value and subsequently re-add primary key constraint.

ALTER TABLE Tbl MODIFY COLUMN ID INT;

ALTER TABLE Tbl DROP PRIMARY KEY;

//Modify int value

ALTER TABLE Tbl ADD PRIMARY KEY (id);

It's just a regular column. I'm allowed to make changes -- it's just that every number is rejected as a non recognizable integer

On 2/12/2018 1:46 AM, dvohra10 wrote:

Reply by dvohra10
If the integer column being modified is a primary key it won't be modifiable. Is the integer column a primary key column or some other column?

Hello Betty,

would you be so kind and tell us a data type of your “id” column if it is just regular INT and if is defined as UNSIGNED.

Thank You,

Jiri K.