Toad World® Forums

Install issue ?

Hi Guys,

I am probably at risk being perceived as ‘pain in the neck’ but I encountered another annoying problem. Here is my story.

According to the local company policy workstation owners do not have local admin rights to their workstations. Some individuals including myself have separate accounts with local admin rights but without Internet access (usual virus paranoia). I order to install Navigator I had to use my ‘local admin account’ which I did to install SQL Nav with all options including Xpert etc. I logged off and went back to my normal ‘non-local admin account’ because that’s the account I use for everyday work. The problem occurred when I attempted to double-click on Oracle Error in the Output Window. SQL Navigator reacted by running Wise trying to install Xpert (assume Instant Messages). My problem is that I am not able to use this account to install anything. My question is why SQL Nav is trying to install Instant Messages if I already installed them as ‘local admin’ guy as part of the original Nav install? Regards, Vadim

Hi Vadim,

We greatly appreciate your feedback so no worries about being perceived as a “pain in the neck” :slight_smile:

Could you please send us screenshots of what happens after you double-clicked on the oracle error in the output window ? Thanks.

regards,

Bernard

Bernard,

Please see attached files for more details. I just want to add that I do have Wise Installer for Windows - Enterprise Eduition installed on my workstation which I use for MSI creation. The only thing that it works only if I am logged with ‘local admin’ rights.

Vadim
screenshots.doc (45.5 KB)

Hi Vadim,

Are you able to launch Knowledge Xpert from the Tools menu using the following methods:

1. “Search Knowledge Xpert” (after selecting a topic and clicking on Display)
  2. Instant Messages

Thanks.

regards,

Bernard

Bernard,

See atachments. I do have Knowledge Expert Installed on my computer. When I try to run Instant Messages from Start menu it sort of invokes the first screen but after that GPFs.

Regards,

Vadim
nav screen shots 2.doc (41 KB)

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for the update. If you also have problems running IM or KX from Start Menu -> Quest Software -> Knowledge Xpert, then I’m afraid you may not have much luck trying to run them from Nav.

Looking at your latest screenshot, I would say that your non-admin user lacks the necessary software permissions to access IM and KX (as per above the paragraph). Would you be able (as the admin user) to give your non-admin user more permissions to run KX ? I believe once you’re able to run KX from the Start Menu, you should be able to do likewise from NAV.

regards,

Bernard

Bernard,

That’s part of the problem because I am not allowed according to the policy to change any settings of my non-admin account. If I do the settings will be reset back during next reboot.

Could you tell me what’s special about KX and IM ? I did not have any problems with Navigator itself. I installed it under admin account and succesfully used it under my normal account. It did not prompt me to complete installation but KM and IM did. I am sure that we have issue here. I have 2 scenarios:

1. KX/IM is invoked from the Start Menu from ‘normal account’ is trying to run install and eventually results into GPF after cancelling install
  2. KM/IM is invoked from Navigator itself is also trying to run install but after numerious cancellations of Install it eventually allows me to use IM. It will go through the same nightmare next time I start Navigator and attempt to use IM from within Nav.

My point is that there is something dodgy in KX/IM install. They should install for all users as Nav does.

Regards,

Vadim

Hi Vadim,

Yes, it’s a good point you raised about the KX installation…it’s likely that the installation was for the current user and not for all users (in terms of application visibility/permissions). In some installers, the user is given the opportunity to pick whether the installed program is for just the current user or for all users and that option may be a good addition to the KX installer.

In any case, I will take this up with the relevant development team and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your feedback.

regards,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Yes, please. Otherwise I am not able to use KX here at all. It’s becoming a standard that the users are not given local admin access and more than that their accounts have only Read Only access to Program Files.

Another point that GPF is not appropriate for commercial software regardless of anything. Definitely they need to look at KX installation.

Regards,

Vadim

Message was edited by: vadim.loevski@contracted.pmi

Hi Vadim,

While the investigation is proceeding, in the meantime, if you want to access Nav’s internal error library (as opposed to using KX), you can consider removing the following registry keys as your admin user:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Revwin32.exe HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\KXpert.exe

Without these keys, Nav will bypass KX and use its own error library when you double-click on an error.

I would like to further clarify a number of points. When you’re logged on as your non-admin user, are you able to launch KX by running the exe (eg. KXpert.exe, InstMg32.exe) directly from the program folder (as opposed to using the shortcuts in the Start Menu).

Thanks !

regards,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Please find in attachments what I get when trying to run KX from my Start menu logged in asd non local admin user

Regards,

Vadim
nav kx install issue.doc (49.5 KB)

Great, I’ll pass this information on. To exclude the possibility of any issues with the Start Menu shortcuts themselves, I would like to ask if the problem (as captured in your attachment) also occurs if you directly ran KX from file explorer (please see attachment).

Thanks for your patience Vadim, I’m sure we’ll get to the bottom of this issue soon.

regards,

Bernard

Bernard,

I get the same result as from the Start menu.

Regards,

Vadim