Toad World® Forums

Installation Error 00000001: Incorrect Function

Using this installer: Spotlight-on-SQL-Server-Enterprise-Edition_1001

On the 3rd page of installer (:Specify the computer that will run the Diagnostic Server)

Choose Install on this computer, click Next

get small dialog with “Error 00000001: Incorrect Function”

nothing in Windows event log

server = Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, 4 GB RAM, 2 hard drives

Hi stjones,

No one in our team has ever seen this problem before, and we don’t have any record of it ever ocurring, in our work database.

I have tried and cannot reproduce it either.

This makes it difficult to provide you with a suitable answer.

I suspect it may be environmental.

It may also be coincidental that it happened with the SoSSE installation.

I have done a google search to see if there is any record of this message (or something similar) in the blogs and forums, and the best I could come up with are listed here.

markiwaszko.blogspot.com.au/…/windows-2008-incorrect-function-error.html

"Windows 2008 INCORRECT FUNCTION error, sharing folders or file shares

If you get the error “Incorrect Function” on a Windows Server 2008 or 2008R2 when trying to share a folder or create a file share then you will find the error message “INCORRECT FUNCTION” is extreemly useless.

It occurs because you don’t have the Firewall Rules for Inbound and Outbound “File and Printer Sharing” included in your rule sets.

But I have firewall disabled I hear you cry! For Windows it doesnt matter if you have the Firewall on or off for any of the Profiles. If you dont have the rules there you cant share folders…

Dont know why this is but it just doesnt work and gives the silly error message above."

social.technet.microsoft.com/…/error-0x00000001-after-installing-software-through-a-task-sequence

“I found that the way I was installing Symantec Endpoint Protection was incorrect.”

I would suggest you remove any partially created folders and/or files. Reboot the server. And try again.

I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance.

You may also want to try a further Google search.

Regards,

Chris Pryde

SoSSE Software Tester