Toad World® Forums

Looking for recommendations on number of virtual users

Hi all,

I’m looking for any recommendations on how many virtual users to get a license for beyond the 100 that comes with the Benchmark Factory trial.

My current environment is:

Agent system:
Dell PowerEdge 730xd
2 x Intel E5-2695 v3 @ 2.30 GHz (14-core, 28 logical)
256 GB memory

SUT:
Supermicro X10DRi-T4+
2 x Intel E5-2695 v3 @ 2.30 GHz (14-core, 28 logical)
32 GB memory (reduced memory on purpose)
12 x 6TB 15K SAS for MS SQL Server database

No network switch as there is a direct 10Gb cable connection between the two servers. Goal is to do performance benchmarking on storage system only.

I’ve read in the help documentation that each agent supports up to a max of 1500 virtual users. Will I need more than that many? If so, is it possible to create multiple VMs on the agent system each running its own agent?

Thanks,
Dat

Hi Dat,

My first question is how many users do you want to simulate? Is 100 not enough? The number of virtual users depends upon what your needs are?

Hi Mark,

I initially ran TPC-C and TPC-E on a single 7200 SATA 6G drive and got the following results:

TPC-C max throughput found at userload 100 (TPS = 5.287)

TPC-E max throughput found at userload 100 (TPS = 98.593)

Not sure if that’s “average” or not but since I will be running the test on 12 drives, I assume I would need more users. Just don’t know by how much to saturate load. My goal is to run on 12, swap out drives and run test again to compare drive performance.

Thanks

I understand you are testing drive performance but you really need to figure out how many users YOUR application is going to support not how many Benchmark Factory will support. Are you going to have 50 users on the system or 10,000? That is what you have to determine then you can set up a test to simulate that load. If you don’t have a target goal of users to support then your results are going to be all over the place.