Toad World® Forums

Make "Clear messages before executing script" option work in this release

Please, in this release can someone take a few minutes and make this feature work as intended?
Attachment
My expectation is that when the Editor - Tools option called “Clear messages before executing script” is enabled that every time I run a script, prior to the script running ALL rows showing on the Messages tab to be cleared so that the messages that get displayed THIS TIME are all relevant to this execution of the script.

For me, that does not happen. Every time I run the script, the messages are APPENDED TO, but are NEVER cleared.

I always have to manually click the X to clear the messages manually. This is a big time waster and I’d really like this feature to work.

The last time I reported this someone asked for a support bundle, so I’m attaching that to this message also.

PleaseClearMessages.jpeg

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.

Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

**Description:**
        An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

**Exception Details:** System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

**Source Error:**

`

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.`

**Stack Trace:**
   [InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.] System.Web.HttpValueCollection.FillFromString(String s, Boolean urlencoded, Encoding encoding) +4008959 System.Web.HttpUtility.ParseQueryString(String query, Encoding encoding) +213 Telligent.Evolution.Rest.Framework.Infrastructure.RestPluginHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +325 System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +625 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +270

``

Version Information:
Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

">ToadSupportBundle.zip

That’s interesting. WHen I run it on my machine, it works flawlessly. I know that doesn’t help you, but it does make me wonder why it would work on mine, but not on yours.

Works fine on my side also. Darren, do you still see this issue or it occured only at one day?

This option has never worked for me on any version of Toad since it was introduced as a feature. I’ve been reporting this as an issue for multiple releases.

I’ve sent the support bundle with the original posting, does that help you reproduce at all?

Let me know if there’s something specific you want me to try / check.

Darren

Darren,
I just double checked with your settings - all works fine on my W7 64bit. Do you have any defect ID about this issue so I can try to search thru the system?

Still doesn’t work for me.

Installed the beta to a different workstation. On THAT machine it works correctly.
But oddly enough on that computer, while testing turning “off” the flag I get this error on attempting to close the Options dialog:
System.FormatException
Format String can be only “D”, “d”, “N”, “n”, “P”, “p”, “B”, “b”, “X” or “x”.
Stack Trace:
at System.Guid.ToString(String format, IFormatProvider provider)
at System.Text.StringBuilder.AppendFormat(IFormatProvider provider, String format, Object[] args)
at Quest.Toad.Grid.GridSettings.IntegerToDisplay(Object obj)
at Quest.Toad.SqlServer.SqlServerConnection.customDisplayTextInteger(Object sender, CustomDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItem.RaiseCustomDisplayText(CustomDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItemTextEdit.RaiseCustomDisplayText(CustomDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItem.RaiseCustomDisplayText(FormatInfo format, Object editValue, String displayText)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItem.GetDisplayText(FormatInfo format, Object editValue)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseEditViewInfo.GetDisplayText()
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.TextEditViewInfo.GetDisplayText()
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseEditViewInfo.OnEditValueChanged()
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseEditViewInfo.set_EditValue(Object value)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.ViewInfo.GridViewInfo.UpdateCellEditViewInfo(GridCellInfo cell, Point mousePos, Boolean canFastRecalculate, Boolean calc)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.ViewInfo.GridViewInfo.CreateCellEditViewInfo(GridCellInfo cell, Boolean calc, Boolean allowCache)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.ViewInfo.GridViewInfo.CalcColumnBestWidth(GridColumn column)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Base.ColumnView.CalcColumnBestWidth(GridColumn column)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Columns.GridColumn.GetBestWidth()
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Columns.GridColumn.BestFit()
at Quest.Toad.Grid.ToadGridControl.BestFitColumns()
at Quest.Toad.Grid.ToadGridControl.updateSettings()
at Quest.Toad.Grid.ToadGridControl.SettingsChanged(Object sender, EventArgs args)
at Quest.Toad.Notification.SettingsChangedHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs args)
at Quest.Toad.Notification.NotificationManager.SettingChanged(Object sender)
at Quest.Toad.Settings.SettingForm.SaveSettings()
at Quest.Toad.Settings.SettingForm.btnOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

(That machine was running build 6.0.0.204).

On my computer, it still never clears the messages before executing script no matter if I turn the setting on or off.

Is there some place I can go to just wipe my settings to try again with base application settings?

Update: after toggling the “Clear messages before executing script” option on / off / on / off about 10 more times (most recently while recording a video I was going to upload showing the issue) it FINALLY started to work.

I have no idea why opening the options dialog and saving the setting change didn’t work the previous 9 times, but it did work the 10th time.

Maybe there was something corrupt in my settings file that finally got fixed with this on/off toggle?

Maybe there was something corrupt in my settings file that finally got fixed with this on/off toggle?
Maybe. But the first thing I did when took your settings - I checked this option setting and it was enabled. Quite odd issue. Probably it may be b/c of some migration issue, but I do remember you stroggled with this for a long time.

Darren,
I had a similar wierd issue occuring to me when I moved to TOAD 5.6. A limited few settings appeared to not work properly. The fix (for me) was to close TOAD, delete all my settings, start TOAD, and create a new, default profile. Then, when I went in and set up my options, they all worked correctly. It was some sort of corruption that had entered into my settings. Clearing them out and starting over fixed it.

I wonder if something similar has happened to you?

Hi Darren,

I have the same problem like you describe.

I use a new notebook with Windows 8 professional at 64 bits in italian Language and like DB Microsoft SQL Server 2012 with service pack 1 developer edition.

I set - Clear Messages before executing script -

See my screenshot in attach for details.
I execute 3 times the same sql statement and as you can see messages are appended . Nothing has been clear.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti
toad_sql.jpeg

Sergio, it is very interesting. I assume you haven’t migrated settings from previous version since it is brand new laptop, right?
If so - it means something weird.

Alexander,

on this new notebook I have installed only TOAD SS 6.0 beta.
I export connection in connection manager of old notebook and import it in the new notebook with TOAD SS 6.0 beta.

I don’t know if this type of operation is like migrate settings…

I do only an export and import connection in the new PC.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

Alexander,

I test the same problem on a virtual machine (vmware workstation 9) with Windows 7 pro at 32 bits installed with service pack 1 in italian and TOAD SS 5.8.1. R2 Xpert edition.

As you can see in my screenshot in attach the problem is the same identical.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti
W7_x32_Develop-2013-04-24-22-57-44.png

Sergio,
Have you tried doing it with the default settings? No export/import of connection strings or anything? I had to recreate everything. I don’t know where the problem was, but I do know I didn’t import anything, not even connection strings.

After doing that, my problems went away.

Regardless, this is an odd issue.

Hi J Fischer,

in the last screenshot I use a virtual machine with a new installation of TOAD SS 5.8.1 R2 Xpert edition.

I never import connetion settings.

After installation I run it and create only one connection to my SQL Server 2012 DB.

I never change nothing in settings,etc,etc,…

Like you can see the problem is still present.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

Hi All,
I’ve given this question some more tought and here are my findings. Messages uppends to the previous ones if you execute ONLY selected sql text OR use F9. This works as designed.
So please clarify if it the case on your side - in other words does it always append even if you use F5 for whole script.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Alexander,

I test on my side the situation that you define in your previous message.

These are the results :

In TOAD SS BETA 6.0 last :

1. SQL test selected - press F5 - messages appended at the previous one.
  2. SQL test selected - press F9 - messages appended at the previous one.
  3. SQL test not selected - press F5 - messages not appended.
  4. SQL test not selected - press F9 - messages appended at the previous one.

In TOAD 5.8.1 R2 :

1. SQL test selected - press F5 - messages appended at the previous one.
  2. SQL test selected - press F9 - messages appended at the previous one.
  3. SQL test not selected - press F5 - messages not appended.
  4. SQL test not selected - press F9 - messages appended at the previous one.

At the end of the story messages are not appended only in case 3) in both TOAD version 5.8 and 6.0 .

Do you tell me that this is the standard behaviour…

OK ,I 'm agree with you, but where is described this behaviour in TOAD’s help ?

I never find it.
It’s not so simple imagine how works TOAD without have some functionality described in help file ?

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

You do what?

Why would you make it do different things if you have a portion of a script selected vs. running the entire script.

This makes no sense to me.

When working in Toad I START with one statement then keep building highlighting sections of the script and executing all the time.

OK, So I’m not going crazy. I can now reproduce this problem. When I said it was fixed I just so happened to not have anything selected and the messages cleared.

But now I can reproduce the issue with messages not clearing by just highlighting a statement then pressing F5.

Please fix this. I cannot believe this is “by design”. IMHO It should clear the messages when the flag is on whether or not you have a selection. I would say about 99% of the time I execute a script I only have a portion of the script selected. That’s the whole point of clearing the messages – to DEBUG the PORTION of the script you’re working on.

Darren

I am in agreement with Darren - it should consistently clear the messages.

Hi Alexander,

after some days of thinking about your consideration and my tests,I am in agreement too with Darren and J Fischer.

It’s more useful and clear if should consistently clear the messages when the check option - Clear messages before executing script - is true.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti