Toad World® Forums

Maybe it's because I'm a novice?

Having reverse engineered the model…

the application view shows

RE:MS SQL Server 2005

This is essentially useless because I end up with several models all the same name… How do I go about renaming the model? I’d also like to rename the workspace? so I could perhaps segment the model into areas

And - as a wibni. ( wouldn’t it be nice if)

Could we at least show the primary and foreign keys in the boxes
and perhaps have an option to change the defauilt display when doble-clicking on an entity? Currently it goes to General - and I’d like it to default to attributes.

Of course, this could be there alreay - in which case I apologise…

Regards

Mike

How do I go about renaming the model? I’d also like to rename the workspace? so I could perhaps segment the model into areas

You can rename models and workspaces by clicking on the named item twice (not double clicking) similar to the way Windows explorer works. Once the name is highlighted in the box, you can type over it.

Could we at least show the primary and foreign keys in the boxes
and perhaps have an option to change the defauilt display when doble-clicking on an entity?

Maybe I misunderstand. The primary and foreign keys are indicated in the tables, both by color and with an annotation of (PK) or (FK) after the attribute name if you have the entity view set to anything other than ‘Entity’. Select View | Display Level and select attributes. That will show all of the entity’s attributes and the PK and FK fields. Similarly, if you go to View | Toolbars and turn on the Workspace details menu, there will be a dropdown for you to change the WS display details. If you are a novice, you might want to open the help and search for ‘Notation’. That will show you examples of what all of the boxes, lines and colors mean. It’s pretty standard data modelling fare.

You used to be able to turn on and off menus by right clicking in the menu area, but that seems to have gone away. Hmmm. I wonder what happened to that, Vladka?
I don’t remember mention of that being turned off and I can’t think of a reason why it would be since that’s the way most all other applications work.

Thanks Bruce - exactly what I wanted!

Hi,

if you want to define default settings, go to Settings | Options, click the Physical Model item under the Model section and define default settings on tab Entities.

You can also right click a workspace and select Workspace Format. Define settings for your workspace. You can also define settings for particular entity. Right click on it and select Format. On tab Entity you can change Display level for the edited entity.

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi Bruce,

I believe the right-click option for displaying toolbars has never been in TDM3. It must have been another application :slight_smile:

I added it to our system under CR# 38481. But honeslty, with low priority as there is the View | Toolbars option.

Regards,

Vaclav

For the right click toolbar option, I must be remembering something else, because I know it’s in every other Quest tool that I’ve ever used. I probably overlooked it because in TDM, I turn on all the menus and leave them on. In other tools, I have to be a bit more judicious about what menus I have turned on. You can turn on so many menus that you don’t have any work space.

:slight_smile: Thanks for your feedback.

Vaclav