Toad World® Forums

Migration of back end repository to different databases

Hi,

We are running Quest Code Tester for Oracle 1.8.5.450 in a multi user environment. Currently this is only a trial and has all been run on a single database where the majority of our development occurs.

Soon, we plan to upgrade to the latest version of the client and back end (1.9.1) and with that also to roll out the product to our wider development community (around 60 developers), which does work over multiple databases.

I wanted to get a feel for how people have been managing their repository of test cases in a multi database development environment. Our databases contain virtually the same code, but each database represents a different version of our product so there are differences in the code that in there.

Is there any recommended approach that we should take to migrate test cases between environments to ensure that our latest version has the most up-to-date test cases?

Regards,
Primoz

Primo,

The only and best option for you, I believe, is to set up batch scripts to automate the exporting of test definitions out to file, and another script to import the test definitions into another instance.

But it would certainly be nice to hear from our users as well!

Regardsm SF

The only and best option for you, I believe, is to
set up batch scripts to automate the exporting of
test definitions out to file, and another script to
import the test definitions into another instance.

Hi SF,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have discussed a similar method with our DBA team, and the consensus was that this would be the approach we would take unless there was a better ‘sanctioned’ approach that was suggested.

So assuming we end up exporting to a file… Is there a script or procedure that exists to export the test definition to a file? If not, what objects need to be considered in the database in order to export the complete test definition per function? I just want to make sure we don’t corrupt anything in the process of migration.

Thanks for your help.
Primoz

The export process is built into Code Tester. You simply request the export and it creates the file for you with all needed information.

Please note that up through Code Tester 1.9, PL/SQL command line import is not supported for the XML export. You need to use the legacy export.

If, however, as part of your export/import process, you can run the GUI command line interface then you can use the XML export.

This will be addressed in CT2; we will support PL/SQL import of XML files.

SF