Toad World® Forums

model comparer

I have difficulties getting model comparer to work. It generates internal errors.
And when trying to expand nodes it freezes alltogether.

But something else was on my mind.

Why isn’t the comparer as in CS2 ? There were colors, icons. I’m lost in the visual interpretations of differences in TDM3.
I was looking only for missing entities, attributes and it’s wuite hard to filter all the lines.

I’m using Mysql model with custom user types, so almost each entity and attribute is different, because in real database there are simple data types and in my model there are custom dictionary types. Would it be possible to compare models by physical data type ? And would it be possible to add some kind of user dictionary type prediction ?
When I have decimal(3,0) as TYP_SS, and there are new attributes in real database with this data type, it could hint me that I have a dictionary type for it.

There is also a lack of context menu everywhere in the comparer. I think CS2 had it good, only the problematic NOT NULL fields in mysql where a drawback.

The last thing on my mind. I started model comparer. I spent almost half an hour to sort out differences and then I discovered that there is no ALTER button to press. What a pitty… Some button would be great that would change the comparer into alter/merge comparer .

Oh, and one thing more. I tried also the model update feature which combines multiple separate dialogs. handy. But what when in comparer step I discover that some tables were forgotten in reverse engineering step ? If the reverseengineering and comparer were closely bond together so that I could import the missing table right there without reverting to reverse engineering and loosing all the pitty work.

I’m not sure, if it is there or not, but there could also be somekind of review after merging so that I could see what will be done before I start the merge/alter process.

Hello arki,

Thanks very much for your feedback. We need to discuss the questions you have raised in our team. Then, I’ll get back to you and write more details, possibly ask questions etc.

Anyway, as you are one of the most contributing community members and moreover our neighbour…(Czech - Slovak, used to be Czechoslovakia) What about making an appointment? Me and Vaclav could visit you and we can discuss the TDM3 issues personally. What do you think of it? We would very appreciate it and we hope you too. This can be beneficial for both of us.

If you agree, please do not hesitate to send me your phone number to modeling@quest.com and I will call you then and we can discuss the details. (What about first January work week? Will it suit you?)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Arki,

Thanks very much for your feedback. You’ve opened a huge discussion on model compare, merge a update in our team. :wink:
In any case, Comparator and Convertor forms, including Model Update will be further discussed in our team and more enhanced.

Here I"m with some CR numbers and questions for you.

I was looking only for missing entities, attributes and it’s wuite hard to filter all the lines.
Filtering and selection will be enhanced in v. 3.1. Users will be able to select object types to display for particular action.

Would it be possible to compare models by physical data type?
CR # 41 000.

And would it be possible to add some kind of user dictionary type prediction?
Can we please ask you for more details? Where and how should it be the most convenient for you? Would it be acceptable for you during model verification or in the dialog of dict. type/user defined type of the new model itself? We don’t think it would be fine in the comparator.
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

There is also a lack of context menu everywhere in the comparer.
More details on the missing context menu will be appreciated. Thanks!

The last thing on my mind. I started model comparer. I spent almost half an hour to sort out differences and then I discovered that there is no ALTER button to press. What a pitty…
Yes, you’re right. Sorry for this. We will consider Comparator and Convertor forms.
Anyway, alter scripts for MySQL db are not supported for now. (It’s possible to generate alter scripts only for Oracle model.)

I tried also the model update feature which combines multiple separate dialogs…
We will discuss this request. CR # 41 001.

I’m not sure, if it is there or not, but there could also be somekind of review after merging so that I could see what will be done before I start the merge/alter process.
No, review is not available. CR # 41 002.

Thanks very much for your great co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team