Multi-line description on Relationship Name field?

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to split the name of the relationship into multi-lines (Where you can set the name of relationship on Relationship properties and it displays on workspace)? I think it would be useful to make it multi-line E.g. when you have entered a large description about the links/relationship on that name field, the text just go all the way across the screen, then you need to do something to make sure the text of the relationship is display properly e.g. drag the table upward or downward, you may need to drag it a bit furture if you want the table layout in the some level (horzontally) …etc (sorry about my explanation, i hope you under stand what i mean)

I knew that the it has the facilities for enlarge or reduce the size of the name box on workspace. unfortunately, it seems do not function properly. E.g. we cannot enlarge or reduce the size of the text on the link/relationship between 2 tables.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

It’s not possible to split a relationship name into multi-lines.

Remarks and suggestions on this issue:

The Name text box should contain only the relationship name.
If you like to write a description or note on the relationship, please write the text on the Notes tab of the Relationship Properties dialog. In the future, the text, which you will write here, will be displayed as a hint when you point your mouse cursor at the relationship. - The same will work for entities, attributes, views etc. The text you will write on the Notes tab will be displayed in the hint.

If you like to view the notes in WS permanently, please add a Note to the WS (see the Note icon in the toolbar) and write the text here. You can also relate the Note to the relationship via Note Line if you like.

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks!

Have a nice day.

Vladka

Hi

<<The Name text box should contain only the relationship name.
If you like to write a description or note on the relationship,please write the text on the Notes tab of the Relationship Propertiesdialog. In the future, the text, which you will write here, will bedisplayed as a hint when you point your mouse cursor at therelationship. - The same will work for entities, attributes, views etc.The text you will write on the Notes tab will be displayed in the hint.>>

I am wondering would it be able to display the notes beside the object (not a hints) in future. Does it has any way which It could displays the notes (which I added on the entity/relationship) when I export the model to JPG?
<<If you like to view the notes in WS permanently, please add a Note tothe WS (see the Note icon in the toolbar) and write the text here. Youcan also relate the Note to the relationship via Note Line if you like.>>
I would be grateful if TDM could provide some facilities which allowused to group object together, e.g. by dragging 1 item of the group, wecan drag the whole group anywhere we want? and the group can bedifferent to “Category”.In this case i could move the notes and the relationship together whenever the table move…etc E.g. at the moment I think I entity could only belong to 1 category, We could use Group to group 2 or more categories together and drag them to some where at the same time.

<<Youcan also relate the Note to the relationship via Note Line if you like>>Do you mean that I could use the Note Line to connect the “Relationship (line/link)”, I cannot connect the Note Line to the Relationship link. I would be grateful if we can somehow to connect the “Note” to the relationship by using note line.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Message was edited by: Chi

Hi,

I am wondering would it be able to display the notes beside the object (not a hints) in future. Does it has any way which It could displays the notes (which I added on the entity/relationship) when I export the model to JPG?

You can display notes beside the object now. - See the Notes icon in the toolbar. Add the Note to your ER diagram.
The Notes will be exported to the graphical format too. Please check it out.

I would be grateful if TDM could provide some facilities which allowused to group object together, e.g. by dragging 1 item of the group, we can drag the whole group anywhere we want?

We will consider your request CR # 33 510.
At the moment, you can only select the objects manually in the ERD (via SHIFT key or mouse).
You select the objects - they will be highlighted - and drag one of them to the required position. - All of them will be moved.

at the moment I think I entity could only belong to 1 category, We could use Group to group 2 or more categories together and drag them to some where at the same time.
I'm afraid, I don't understand. Yes, one entity can be assigned to one category only. Would you like the groups to be independent from categories? Would you like to have Entity 1 in a category and also in group? Would you like to select category + group and drag them at the same time? If you need the Entity 1 have different position, how should it be arranged when the entity is in category and group as well?

Note: See also your request (33 452) at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7903&tstart=0

Do you mean that I could use the Note Line to connect the "Relationship (line/link)", I cannot connect the Note Line to the Relationship link.

Sorry, my mistake. The note line can be connected to a shape only.

I would be grateful if we can somehow to connect the "Note" to the relationship by using note line.
We will consider your request. CR # 33 511.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Vladka

<<I’m afraid, I don’t understand. Yes, one entity can be assigned to onecategory only. Would you like the groups to be independent fromcategories? Would you like to have Entity 1 in a category and also ingroup? Would you like to select category + group and drag them at thesame time? If you need the Entity 1 have different position, how shouldit be arranged when the entity is in category and group as well?>>

Hi

I would like the group to be independent from categories. I would like Entity 1 in a category and also in group as well. E.g several categories group together may serve another purpose for the database. I am sorry that I do not know how to explain it properly.

I think it would be better to have a option to choose whether you want to reposition the entity / category or the whole group by using mouse drag with some keyboard short-cut…etc

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

O.K. Thanks for the details. I’ve added them to the CR 33 511.

Thanks for your co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka