Toad World® Forums

New beta report

Hello everybody,
I am back.

Here are some things I found in the latest Beta after an hour or so of testing:

1. if there is a ’ (single quote) character in a REM comment in a SQL script
    the keywords highlighting will stop working after the REM line and it will
    consider the following rows as part of a string (it looks like a single quote
    is allowed in SQL*Plus in a REM comment);

2. if I want to save the summentioned script in a file, it takes very long time
    to complete the operation and the CPU goes up to 100% usage (resulting file is about 500Kb);

3. if I use CTRL+O or the File -> Open File… menu, it will open the file in
    the old editor (not the Unified one), and Yes, I installed the new toolbars/
    menus when requested by SQLNAV;

4. if the cursor is positioned inside a /* */ comment that starts on the first
    line of the script, pressing CTRL+F8 or the small dark green PLAY button (the
    one among the other VCR like buttons), nothing will happen; if the cursor is
    outside the /**/ comment, then it works fine;

5. if you are positioned at the beginning of the big SQL script and start
    selecting rows in the unified editor keeeping pressed the SHIFT + Down Arrow
    key combination, the screen is not properly refreshed to show that rows are
    being selected; if you keep SHIFT pressed and repeatedly press on Down Arrow,
    it works fine;

6. Find window is not working at all on such big SQL script file;

7. if you press twice CTRL+F, you will get first the Find window and then a
    Create New Folder window (???) asking you for a Folder name (what’s that???);

8. Shift + F9 on a selected SQL statement does not ask for replacing
    bind variables (&var ends up with not all variables bound error);

9. I was able to crash SQLNAV twice just executing queries, but I will have to be able to replicate it first;

For now I think it’s enough.

Bye,
Paolo

Hi Paolo,

I’m testing the issues you reported in the current development build, and that’s what I found.

1. True, REM is considered just a statement that does nothing, with all the same syntax rules as any other statement (e.g. quotes must go in pairs). We can ‘promote’ it to the status of a ‘real’ comment, that is make it equivalent to – comment, but is it right? I personally don’t see any value in having three types of comments. In any case, this issue doesn’t seem serious enough to me to start making changes to our core components. You can enforce using arbitrary characters in REM comments by enclosing the text in double quotes.
  2. I tested opening and saving scripts much bigger than 500K. Saving a 500K-script takes less than 2 sec on my machine. Could you please send us the script that causes the problem?
  3. This has been fixed.
  4. I can’t reproduce this. Looks like it has been fixed too.
  5. Same as above.
  6. I don’t think this has anything to do with the size of the script. Most likely, you need to check your find parameters - e.g. Direction, Case Sensitive, etc.
  7. Now Ctrl+F brings up the same Find/Replace dialog SQL Editor was using. I couldn’t reproduce the ‘Create New Folder’ issue.
  8. This issue still exists, but is easy to fix.
  9. Our development build is a lot more stable now.

Thank you for your feedback. You will see a new build soon that fixes most, if not all, of the issues mentioned.

Regards,
Roman

Roman,

1. that’s fine for me, in the end it’s just a cosmetical fix ; anyway keywords appearing after a REM line are highlighted as well…

2. you can find the script attached and check also the screenshot, as it shows the high activity of the CPU and the “not responding” window of SQLNAV;

3. I assure you the Find window is not working on my PC: I’ve taken a screenshot after I’ve pressed several times the find button to look for CREATE string (and you can see it exists in the text), but it probably won’t be as clear as testing it live on my machine; anyway you are right, the issue does not depend on the file size, it doesn’t work also when the editor contains a single character…

4. just have a look at the screenshot to see the Create New Folder window I see here: it really exists!!

One last thing:
Just before the crashes, I’ve seen in the General tab of the output window a suggestion to check ERROR.LOG file to get more details about the error, but I couldn’t find it in the main SQLNAV directory. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Paolo

Roman,

1. that’s fine for me, in the end it’s just a cosmetical fix ; anyway keywords appearing after a REM line are highlighted as well…

2. you can find the script attached and check also the screenshot, as it shows the high activity of the CPU and the “not responding” window of SQLNAV;

3. I assure you the Find window is not working on my PC: I’ve taken a screenshot after I’ve pressed several times the find button to look for CREATE string (and you can see it exists in the text), but it probably won’t be as clear as testing it live on my machine; anyway you are right, the issue does not depend on the file size, it doesn’t work also when the editor contains a single character…

4. just have a look at the screenshot to see the Create New Folder window I see here: it really exists!!

One last thing:
Just before the crashes, I’ve seen in the General tab of the output window a suggestion to check ERROR.LOG file to get more details about the error, but I couldn’t find it in the main SQLNAV directory. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Paolo

Hey,
it looks like it’s not possible to attach more than 2 files to one message…

Paolo
script.zip (75.3 KB)

Hey,
it looks like it’s not possible to attach more than 2 files to one message…

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

The error.log file should be in the SQL Nav application directory…
There appears to be a problem currently, with its creation.
I’ll investigate further and report back to you.

• Jaime -

Hi
error.log should be in your profile directory:
C:\Documents and Settings…\Aplication Data\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 6.0.0 Beta\

Piter to the rescue…

Yes, I think it was moved from the application directory to the user’s profile as part of the implementation of the ‘non administrator’ use of SQL Nav (i.e. non admin users cannot write to the application directory). Thanks for the memory jog Piter.

• Jaime -

No problem :wink: