Toad World® Forums

Notes 3 on beta R8 (build 864)

Hi,
some more bugs.

1. make select * from a wide-enough table - all_objects will do for me.
    1.1 select * from all_objects;
    1.2 click back to the sql statement
    1.3 right-click to any cell in the result - the selection moves along nicely, but copy(Ctrl+C in the contect menu is disabled)
    I have to do an unnecessary left click first in the result

2. now about the wide table
    2.1 select * from all_objects; (the first column of the first row is selected)
    2.2 scroll left/right so that the selected field is not fully visible.
    2.3 right-click on a field. Instead of selecting the field first the results are scrolled left-right again to make the old selection visible and then the field that happens to be under mouse gets selected - but that’s the wrong one.
    It doesn’t happen when the selected field is scrolled up or down. Only when scrolling left or right this happens

3. When compiling a long ( 1000s of rows) package body, and it has errors, the place where the errors are, are marked correctly, but the cursor sometimes jumps to a very wrong position. But this is not always reproduceable. But in one example the error was on the very last line of the package (something got written past the package body “end” (line 2843), but the window was scrolled to line 600 or something.

4. in the unified editor, is there a way to show the open object tabs on several lines, not in one scrollable line? So that all tabs would be visible? It’s already that when coming from code search or table editor to the unified editor, it takes 2 clicks (one click too much compared to Nav 5.5) to go to the necessary program, but when many open programs, i have to think “scroll left or scroll right?”. And i scroll left and see “oh, it wasn’t here”, and then i scroll right and think “and what was the object i was looking for”?

5. no web output? “Enable capture of web output” is enabled. i run the following script:
    begin
    htp.p(‘test!’);
    end;
    /

and no output is generated.

Thanks,
Andres

Message was edited by: Andres

Hi Andres,
thanks a lot for your contribution.
We really appreciate your hard work! :smiley:
2. this problem has been addressed by Jaime and has been fixed.
1,5. will be fixed as soon as possible.
4.We probably add this into the Preferences just like the one for the taskbar. It may take a while though as we have more urgent issues. Please be patient! :smiley:
3. I will investigate this problem and let you know later.

Thanks
Gwen

Hi Gwen,
thanks for your fast reply, i’lll add two more things here

1. showing the number of selected characters is often one step behind

: sel: lines:

The is updated too late when selection is not made with mouse dragging, but with keyboard(shift+arrows), doubleclick or Ctrl+A (select All).

Try - open editor with some text
Click ctrl+A (select all) - sel:0 is displayed.
Click outside selected text - selection is gone , but sel:203 is displayed. Next move fixes that, but it seems selection is always one step behind here.

1. Code explorer fails to show procedures on certain conditions after certain point in package body

create or replace
package at_test2_pkt
is
end at_test2_pkt;
/

create or replace
PACKAGE BODY at_test2_pkt
is
procedure whoopy
is
begin
if 1=2
and sysdate < case when ‘A’ = ‘B’ then sysdate else sysdate - 1 end
then
if 2=3 then
null;
end if;
end if;
end;

procedure test is
begin
null;
end;

end at_test2_pkt;
/

Now open the body and look at the code explorer - there is no sign of procedure “test” here. But comment out the line that starts with “and” - and the procedure test magically reappears.

Playing with this in a really large package (~7000 lines, this type of “feature” in the first half) for a while, I ended soon with SQLNav6 using ~900M of memory and “low memory” exception (from error.log: Exception EOutOfMemory in module SQLNav6.exe at 0091FA75. Out of memory.). After the first save, every typing took additional 10-20M of memory. And the memory was not released even when the package was closed.

Thanks,
Andres

Hi Andres,

Those are all valid bugs and they will be fixed in later builds.
About the issue with Nav when editing large packages, Roman made a fix and it can now load a pakage with 100,000 lines in 9 seconds. I will test it again when I get the new build to make sure there’s no lagging or memmory being chewed up.

Thanks
Gwen

Hi, Gwen
some more remarks:

8.Create DB Object (Alt + Ins)
Package body, any name (*1)
Do you want to create Package Spec? - Yes
Now two tabs are generated, but not “Spec” and “Body”, but “Main” and “Body”.
(templates are used)
Now if both tabs are cleaned to minimum

Package XXXX
IS
END; – Package spec

and

PACKAGE BODY XXXX
IS
END;

I can’ save it - The “Main” tab won’t change to Spec and only body is generated

Now, if in (*1) I choose Package spec, and answer Yes to create package body, things are generated ok, but no templates are used.

1. ‘select * from table’ which has object type in it. In the results pane it shows “0, 0, 0, ‘’, ‘’, 30.12.1899’, ‘’”, although all the elements in the objet type are NULL. Seems there are some kind of defaults for number (0) and date (30.12.1899). When i double-click on the object column, it shows correctly that all attributes are NULL.

2. Export data as table insert with object columns doesn’t use object constructor, it just pastes all the fields (with wrong values, see 9.) into the insert statement so it won’t run.

3. Printing code or result prints white page. (Print preview looks ok)

4. try executing this sql statement (no selection) … i couldn’t

/select * from dual
union all
/ select * from dual;

(no new line between comment end and select)

Hi Andres,

They are all valid bugs and will be fixed in later builds.
9.When I create a package spec first, it always displays the template. Could you please give me the specific steps to reproduce this problem?
12. This has never worked in Nav ( I tested it with 5.5) so it’s a low priority at the moment. Nonetheless, I will log it in as an enhancement request.

Thanks
Gwen

Message was edited by: Gwen

Hi Gwen,
i tried again 8. (not 9.) and … couldn’t reproduce it. Template was now always used, whether started with package or package body.
But now i have a new problem.

1. View differences ( i tried between two open sql files, didn’t try, whether it would be the same using database objects):

view differences => mark some rows => right-click => copy left

1. makes the selected lines empty
  2. doesn’t copy the selected rows to clipboard
    Same thing in 5.5.4?! I didn’t even know that view differences was changed there…
    When i reselect the rows and do “Undo edit”, i can restore the rows, but i didn’t intend to edit anything … and no means to copy selection…

Andres

Hi, some more small things

1. when package compilation is first invalid, then the error is corrected and package saved, the red “Status: Invalid” remains on the bottom of the window until the next cursor movement or mouse click. The status doesn’t get updated right after the compilation.

2. When SQL Navigator correctly detects that the package has been modified and do i want to reload the package, i click yes, two small things: 1) the cusror position in the package is not remembered; 2) the bold “Modified: date time” doesn’t get updated. As if it hadn’t been updated.

Andres

Hi Andres,
13. It already been reported and will be fixed soon.
14. As soon as you save, the Modified date will be changed although the status is not correct.
Could you please specify the steps to reproduce the problem where it asked you to reload the package? Normally, if you just edit and save it won’t ask to reload.

thanks
Gwen

Hi,

1. Open a package in one session, switch away to another editor
  2. Open the same package with another navigator/different computer, make changes there
  3. in the first session, switch back to the package - the dialog opens, that the package has been modified (by another session)

New one:

in empty editor

type/paste 2 lines:
select * from all_objects;
select * from user_objects;

Now move to the end of the first line, hit enter and TYPE

select * from dual;

and press F8;

ORA-00911: invalid character

Thanks,
Andres

Hi,
14. I followed the steps and when I switch back to the package, SQL NAv prompts “Current database object has been modified; do you want to reload it?”. I can’t see any problem here. Could you please give me more explanation?

1. I couldnt reproduce the problem at all.

Thanks,
Gwen

Hi Gwen,
14. The prompt is correct. And the object is reloaded, when “Yes” clicked. But the bold “Modified date and time” in the bottom of the window is not updated.
15. It doesn’t happen all the time, but pretty often. I tried some more and it seems it happens when the time between typing the last character (semicolon, “;”) and pressing F8 is very short, less than half a second (probably that autocomplete or something doesn’t have time to execute).

Thanks,
Andres
sqlnav_R8_3_15.jpeg

Hi Gwen,
14. The prompt is correct. And the object is reloaded, when “Yes” clicked. But the bold “Modified date and time” in the bottom of the window is not updated.
15. It doesn’t happen all the time, but pretty often. I tried some more and it seems it happens when the time between typing the last character (semicolon, “;”) and pressing F8 is very short, less than half a second (probably that autocomplete or something doesn’t have time to execute).

Thanks,
Andres
sqlnav_R8_3_14.jpeg

Hi Andres,

15.I managed to reproduce the problem this time. We have been reported about this issue before but couldnt reproduce it. Thanks heaps!
I will log both of the issues.

Cheers
Gwen

Hi again,
New problem.
When the current schema is not my schema,
when trying to create new db object (package) under my schema, despite of selecting my schema in new stored object window (where object name is asked), when first saving, the object is created under the “not my schema” and the first lines of the spec and body get messy.

Andres

Hi Andres,

issue 16th has been logged. Look forward for more feedbacks from you! :smiley:

cheers
Gwen

Hi Gwen, here you are :slight_smile:
17. In view differences, scrolling up and down with the mouse wheel doesn’t update the difference bar on the left, where the white box shows which part of the code is currently shown on the screen. The behaviour is the same in 5.5.x

Thanks,
Andres

Hi Andres,

This behaviour is inherited from a component on which View Difference is based. Your request requires a major work, therefore we have to mark this as low priority, right now, and consider as enhancement in future release, but thanks for pointing it to us.

Rgds,
Andrew

Hi,
18. SQL Navigator doesn’t offer a way to compile invalid synonym. (Please don’t ask how they become invalid - probably something gets done to the underlying object) - they show up in the Find objects -> Status -> Invalid => Search, but compilation is disabled.
executing
alter synonym <invalid_synonym_name> compile;
fixes this. This also applies to the 5.5.x.
The context menu opening with the right click should allow compiling the synonym as well as other invalid objects.

Hi Andres,

We need to investigate the problem further. Note that Oracle SQL manual doesn’t even contain ALTER SYNONYM command! In any case, this is a low priority issue and will be addressed in one of the future releases.

Thanks,
Roman