Toad World® Forums

Notes on beta R8 (build 864)

Some notes from the first day of use:

1. unnecessary confirm?
    a) open package body (becomes new tab in the same code editor)
    b) save changes
    c) close current tab (shift +F4)
    Program brings up a confirm dialogue:
    Do you want to save all changes in .<package_name> and all its sub-tabs ?

What more changes are there? I thought i just saved?

1. Old-old unfixed bug with new variation in code explorer
    create package at_test_pkt is
    procedure test(a1 in number);
    end;
    /
    create package body at_test_pkt
    is

function test(a1 in number) return number
is
begin
return 1 ;
end;

procedure test(a1 in number)
is
x number;
begin
x := test(a1);
end;

end;
/

Open this package body in editor and look at code explorer - it claims both procedure and function are published in the spec.
The old (4.x and 5.x navigators) show that function is published and procedure is not. Well, actually, only procedure is published…

1. clicking Ctrl+enter on a package name brings up
    15:14:13 Internal error occurred; see file ERROR.LOG for details
    it used to open the package under cursor
    Error.log says v6.0.0 2008-01-18 15:14:13 Exception ESQLNavInternalError in module SQLNav6.exe at 00CB315B. This command cannot be performed.

2. doing code search, when the Search button has been pressed, all options are grayed out EXCEPT the “Use wildcards” (the newest option. Bug also present in 5.x).

3. what are the light blue left and right arrows in the sql editor for (the first buttons in the editor toolbar)? Hint says “Back (Alt + BkSp)” and “Forward (Shift + Alt + BkSp)”, but the buttons don’t behave like Alt + BkSp and Shift + Alt + BkSp. The key combination works as expected (Undo and Redo) but the arrows make the cursor jump here and there, but i couldn’t figure out where actually they do jump.

There are many useful new features, thanks and keep up the good work!

1. Bug. It checks the wrong modification flag.
  2. Support of overloaded procedures is a big problem for us. In this particular case, it could distinguish the two ‘tests’ because one of them is a function, but what if they only have different parameters? Code Explorer needs to be more intelligent. We are going to work on this, but how soon - depends on how important it is to users.
  3. Can’t reproduce so far. Could you send more details?
  4. Will be fixed.
  5. Apparently, there’s a clash of the shortcuts. We’ll think of different shortcuts for the Back/Forward buttons and fix other bugs in this area. These buttons were meant to switch back and forth when using the hyperlinking feature.

Thanks!
Roman

1. It could also have the same parameter, but only with different type. But - when the package body is opened, the code explorer shows procedures and functions present in the body. They’re all there, with same name and all, and doubleclicking on them jumps to the correct position. When the package is open, the Code explorer shows all functions and procedures present in the package specification. Maybe i’m oversimplifying this, but doing a “minus” or “intersect” of what is in the body and what is in the spec (using procedure name, parameter name array and parameter type array) - isn’t that enough to display a correct icon in the body code explorer? I’m sorry, i’ve no experience in programming a GUI, so maybe there’s much more to this…

2. mmm. I’ll try to send a picture, if it’ll help. It happens every time. I just

1. opened SQL Navigator
  2. connected to a database
  3. typed package name
  4. hit Ctrl + Enter
    Works as expected on views, tables, triggers, procedures, functions,types that have no body and packages that have no body. Fails (gives error) when package or type has a body too.

Message was edited by: Andres
sqlnav_internal_1.jpeg

I can reproduce this error, watch attachement.
I placed cursor on name of package and then hit ctrl+enter
clip0006.zip (74.3 KB)

Maybe i’m oversimplifying this, but doing a “minus” or “intersect” of what is in the body and what is in the spec (using procedure name, parameter name array and parameter type array) - isn’t that enough to display a correct icon in the body code explorer?
Correct. Well, almost. Parameters should also be distinguished by in/out mode. I’m not saying it’s very difficult to do, but certainly requires some time (at least an hour). I’ll do this as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Roman