Toad World® Forums

Oracle Native RE Question/Problem

In TDM 3.0.2.221, I tried to reverse engineer an Oracle 10g schema using the “Native connection via client” option, but I’m getting this error: ‘Connection failed because of the following error: “Cannot find OCI DLL: in CbHomes”’. (By default, the Home field contains “CbHomes”.) I tried to paste in the path to the Oracle home on my PC into the Home field, but paste doesn’t work. When I type in the path, I get the same error except that it shows the path I entered instead of CbHomes.

There is an oci.dll file in the BIN directory of the path I entered. The Enterprise Management Console in that path works and connects to the database.

Am I doing something wrong?

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

We need to discuss this issue. We’ll get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks!

Vladka & TDM Team

Hi Rodney,

Here I’m with a quick update.

We’d like to make some more testings and then will need to ask you several questions.
For now we need to ask you for patience.

Thanks very much!

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka

No problem. I’ll keep an eye out for the questions.

Rodney

Hello Rodney,

Here I’m with some information on this issue + questions for you.

TDM3 loads all available Homes from registry. The Homes are listed in the Home combo-box then (Connection step in RE Wizard).

You write there’s only the CbHomes available in the combo-box. So, this means that:
a) either you don’t have Oracle installed properly,
b) or information on your Oracle Home is stored in registry on the place that we do not take into account.

In any case, do not write a path to your Oracle Home to the Home field. It’s enough to write only the Oracle Home name there. -> And Oracle client will find the path itself then (provided that it’s installed properly).

So, please try to do the following:

1. Write your Oracle Home name to the Home field and please let us know if it helped.

2. Write us where in the registry information about your Oracle Home is saved.
    Standardly, Oracle 10g stores this installation information to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ORACLE\KEY_[home name].
    Could you please check this out and let us know whether there’s any difference?

Thanks very much for your reply.

Regards,

Vladka & TDM Team

Ah, entering the name from the registry does indeed work.

The registry path doesn’t quite match what you wrote, but I suspect you mistyped it in your message, so I guess it’s not as simple as a path difference. The path is like this…

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_[home_name]

Rodney

Hi,

Ah, entering the name from the registry does indeed work.

Glad to hear it works now.

…but I suspect you mistyped it in your message,…

Yes, you’re right. I’m sorry for the typo.

Regards,

Vladka

Do you want to try to determine why TDM doesn’t find the Oracle homes to populate the drop down? There are three homes listed in my registry, but none of them show up in the list. Do you need more information from me?

Rodney

Hello Rodney,

Do you want to try to determine why TDM doesn’t find the Oracle homes to populate the drop down?
Yes, sure, still dealing with this trouble.

It would be great if you could send us the following:

1. copy of your Oracle registry
  2. tnsnames.ora files located in the oracle…\network\admin directory

Please send it directly to our email: modeling@quest.com.

Thank you very much for your co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka

I add CR # of this issue: 34 149.

Message was edited by: vladka

I’ve sent the files. Let me know if the message doesn’t arrive or the attachments have been filtered out by a firewall.

Rodney

The message has arrived successfully.

Thanks very much!

Vladka

Just a quick update on this. The issue CR # 34 149 is still open.
Our developers will deal with it.

Thanks for your patience.

Vladka

I’m also getting this error.

The registry HKLM/SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_OraClient10g_home1 ORACLE_HOME is set to C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1. I enter that path in the Home drop down, but still no luck.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am investigating which data modeling tool for our group to get. I am hoping this might be the one.

Cheers
Eric
function __RP_Callback_Helper(str, strCallbackEvent, splitSize, func){var event = null;if (strCallbackEvent){event = document.createEvent(‘Events’);event.initEvent(strCallbackEvent, true, true);}if (str && str.length > 0){var splitList = str.split(’|’);var strCompare = str;if (splitList.length == splitSize)strCompare = splitList[splitSize-1];var pluginList = document.plugins;for (var count = 0; count = sSrc.length){if (strCompare.indexOf(sSrc) != -1){func(str, count, pluginList, splitList);break;}}}}if (strCallbackEvent)document.body.dispatchEvent(event);}function __RP_Coord_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Left = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Top = splitList[1];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Right = splitList[2];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Bottom = splitList[3];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, ‘rp-js-coord-callback’, 5, func);}function __RP_Url_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Vid = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Parent = splitList[1];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, ‘rp-js-url-callback’, 3, func);}function __RP_TotalBytes_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback_Bytes = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}function __RP_Connection_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback_Url = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}

Yea, I tried to enter a path there too, but that’s not what TDM wants. It wants a name for the home. From your registry key, that would appear to be “OraClient10g_home1” for you.

Rodney

Yes, that’s correct. Thank you, Rodney!

Peterson: TDM3 BETA didn’t load the information from your registry from some reason. All available options should be visible in the combo box, but I guess the combo box was empty in your case.

We plan to improve the RE wizard and show some message to end-users where necessary. Also, I’d like to ensure you that we will add information about the wizard to our documentation.

Thanks for your feedback!

Vaclav

Hi All,

Just a quick note in this thread: the problem (CR # 34 149) is fixed in Beta 3.0.8.193.

Beta 3.0.8.193 Release Notes document can be found at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1002&categoryID=29

Vladka

I installed Beta 3.0.8.193 and instead of “CbHomes” in the Home field dropdown, I now get “TDM3 didn’t automatically detect any oracle home”. When I enter the name from the registry (“OraClient10g_home1”), it works.

Also, I cannot paste values into the Home field.

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Our developers are further dealing with this issue. As soon as I get more details from them, I’ll get back to you.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Rodney,

Here I’m with an update on this issue.
Let me provide you with some information.

• CTRL + V doesn’t work now, however will be fixed. For now you can use SHIFT+INS.
  • We have specified messages in the dialog, so you will see where the problem is and what to do.
    (We found out that tnsnames.ora file was not parsed properly, which has been fixed.)
  • We have enhanced a way of parsing tnsnames.ora file.

These fixes and enhancements will be available in next Beta version that will come out soon.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Thanks, I’ll check out the next beta when it’s available.

Rodney