Toad World® Forums

Performance Issues

Hello -

I have been using TDA for about 3 years now and find it to be a great tool. Unfortunately, however, I have been having a series of performance issues recently I need to resolve. My computer is an IBM Think Pad T60 with 3G of memory and really doesn’t struggle with any other programs. I recently downloaded TDA version 2.7 but was having problems with 2.6 also.

Anyway, in short:

1. TDA has been freezing a lot recently (white screen/not responding). This happens when running queries, switching between open windows, and almost always when running something from the Query builder. I usually have 2 open connections and 2-8 open windows (queries, DB viewer etc).

2. Sometimes I get an error message: “…set to an invalid object reference” (i don’t remember the whole thing). When this message pops up, it doesn’t go away no matter how many times I click the red x or the close button. I am forced to shut the whole program down…

I know TDA is memory intensive, but this seems a little over the edge. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You should not be getting those issues. Unfortuately, the symptoms are vague. I can suggest two things off the top of my head.

1. Disable hiding windows that are not in the same group or connection. To do this use the configuration wizard|custom path and uncheck the “Hide windows per group” and “hide windows per conneciton”.

2. If you are connecting to Oracle and using Direct Connection, switch to using an OCI Client. The instant client is fine. You can download here.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html

If you go to the Index of the help file you can get instructions on how to install under “connections, create Oracle”

Let me know if these items help. We can go deeper on this topic but we will have to get more detailed on what triggers the performance issues. (IE: How many rows are normally retreived in your editors, how long has the app been running when you run into issues, etc)

Debbie
HideWindows2.png

Thanks Debbie.

I did make the configuration changes mentioned. I’ll let you know what kind of results I get…