Toad World® Forums

Problem on connecting Data source

Hi

I am having some problem on Data Link properties about the connection option for “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server” (Reverse Engineering Wizard" -> Data Link Properties).

At the moment I chose “Connection via ADO” -> then on “Data Link Properties” on the “Provider” tab I chose SQL Native Client and enter the correct Data Source name, it works fine.

But When i change the provider to “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server”, when I click on the drop down list about “Use data source name” / the “Refresh” button it come up an error message. Please find the attachment for more information. I am wondering if it is a problem cause by my computer, because of using SQL SERVER 2005 Express edition? or it is a bug? As the error message display (Error enumerating data servers. Enumerator reports ‘Unspecified error’ )

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi
query.sql (7.83 KB)

Hello Chi,

We will deal with it and get back to you with some more information/details tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Chi,

Here I’m with an update on this issue.

We’ve tested RE of SQL Server 2005 db using both the providers. No problem occured and the RE process has been accomplished properly.

In any case, the "SQL Native Client " provider is the best option for RE of SQL Server 2005 db. So, if it works properly for you, use it.

Concerning the problem with the other provider - “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server”, it seems that there is a problem in your computer. If you have a possibility to verify it, you might try the RE with this provider on another machine.

In any case, thanks for your notification. We’ve already verified it and will do some further testings.

Thanks!

Regards,

Vladka

Thanks Vladka

I tried on the PC at work, it did not come up with the error that I got at home. I do not understand why the drop down list cannot automatically generate the list of SERVER which is available (I tried to click on refresh button as well, nothing happened), (at the moment, I used “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server” by entering the server name manually)

Could you let me know is there anything that I need to install or set-up before it could populate the list of server that is available? or it have some problem on getting SQL Server data source over the network?

Many thanks

Chi

Could you let me know is there anything that I need to install or set-up before it could populate the list of server that is available? or it have some problem on getting SQL Server data source over the network?

I’m sorry. I don’t know.

Regards,

Vladka

I tried on the PC at work, it did not come up with the error that I gotat home. I do not understand why the drop down list cannotautomatically generate the list of SERVER which is available (I triedto click on refresh button as well, nothing happened), (at the moment,I used “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server” by entering theserver name manually)

Hi

I am wondering if you are able to select the data source from the drop down list provided on the “Data links properties” windows. on “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server” tab

I would like to suggest some more features *“Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server” * or SQL Native Client, It would be grateful if it is possible to cache the previous Database server that we entered. So the user do not have to enter the same database server name all the time, as the same server could stored several different database. It would make life easier, At the moment the "Alias " features only work if you have entered the Database server name and the database name.

I would be grateful, if it could provide some features that allow user to browse the Database server which available on the network or on your local machine.

I understand that SQL Native client works better, but i have to enter the SQL server name each time.

Many thanks

Chi

<>

I am able to choose the data source from other program, e.g. Enterprise manager …etc
Message was edited by: Chi

Hi Chi,
I believe the selected driver/provider is (and should be) responsible for populating its combo box with the list of available databases. (I mean the combo box available on appropriate ODBC or ADO dialogs). Whether a server or database is or is not available, that’s what the driver/provider cares for, not TDM3.

If you are not able to see any database, then there is a problem outside TDM3.

To aliases: you can store settings as user DNS (via ODBC Data Source Administrator) but also in TDM3 under defined Alias Name (ODBC/ADO). If you save your settings as Alias, you will not have to specify the server name again. All you have to do is to click the Load Alias button and all previously saved settings will be loaded automatically (and you will switch to the Options step automatically).

If you need to reverse engineer numerous database structures that are available at the same server, then you currently have at least two possibilities:

• use the “browser” (in form of combo boxes), which is available on appropriate driver/provider dialog,

• or copy the connection string from your first rev.eng. and paste it to appropriate field in the TDM3 RE Wizard when performing RE of another database (ADO). This would make the process faster.

Finally let me thank you for your feedback. I have added your suggestion to our system - CR# 33 746.
If you can, please write me more details about how you think the “Database server” browser would make your life easier.

Thanks,

Vaclav

Message was edited by: vfrolik

Hi Vaclav

Thanks for your reply, I have some more suggestion about the Reverse Engineering Wizard (probably any other wizard involve connection string as well) On Connection step. on top of giving a choice to the user to pick up “Property Data Link”, I would be grateful if it just display the “Data Link properties --> Connection Tab” windows to the user. so that the user could just pick/select the Database, that they want to work on.

And also provide extra button, if this is not the option that user prefer, user could click on that button and go to the “Data Link properties”->Provider tab to choose the provider they prefer and work select the database that would like to work on.

Of course it would be better to remember which provider that user prefer to work with, if they go through the same process again, they do not need to click on “Data Link properties”, as it already on the screen.

<<To aliases: you can store settings as user DNS (via ODBC DataSource Administrator) but also in TDM3 under defined Alias Name(ODBC/ADO). If you save your settings as Alias, you will not have tospecify the server name again. All you have to do is to click the LoadAlias button and all previously saved settings will be loadedautomatically (and you will switch to the Options stepautomatically).>>

I think you need to specify which database you want to work onotherwise, it only load the 1st database it found (E.g. If you onlyselected the server without any catalog/database) I think it would bebetter to allow user to save the server name on alias. After they loadthe alias and click on previous, it could allow user to select thedatabase/catalog they would like to work on.

Many thanks

Hi Chi,

thanks for your explanation and suggestions! We appreciate your effort!

To your first suggestion: I’m afraid it is too one-database-one-connection-setting related matter (MS SQL, ADO, Use connection string option). TDM3 will support plenty of databases and there will be numerous ways how a user will be allowed to establish a connection to his database server and this is why we will have to search for a compromise. In any case, I can ensure you that we will redesign and improve the RE wizard (will not be available in the next beta) and I hope you will like it :slight_smile:

I have added your second suggestion (select another database/catalog in particular step in the RE wizard and keep the rest identical to settings stored under alias) to our system - CR#33863. Thanks again! It’s always great to see things from someone else’s point of view :slight_smile:

Have a nice day,

Vaclav