Toad World® Forums

Problem on Update Model

Hi

I do not know why when I try to update the model through Model ->Update Model, the model on the work space cannot be updated. ( I have added some Primary key on the SQL SERVER 2000 database, I try to use model update to see if it could update the properties of the model, but when I check the model again, the Primary key property is not set to the specific field) ( I have checked "Add All Changes "box, and I was using the Alias I made to the same model before)

The Log on the “Show log” button on “Model Update” wizard does not display any error and also the log windows at the bottom of TDM displays slightly different log information
(Actually they are more or less the same) except, it has an error message saying

*"User permission has not been created because neither object nor owner have been found. Object “syssegments” Column: “” User: “” User group: “public”
*Please let me know if I have done something wrong or If you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi
*Please find the attachment of the screen shot about the Log.

update model.doc (221 KB)

Hello Chi,

Thank you for your notification!
Yes, there’s a bug in the Model Update.

There are two more things that we’d like to verify. Chi, could you please try to do the following?:

1. After you add the PK in your DB, please try to run normal reverse engineering. Is the added PK loaded properly in the reverse engineered (RE) model?

2. Then please try to use the Merge feature to merge the RE model with the older one to see if the same problem occurs. (Model | Merge)

Thanks for letting us know the result. (We wonder if we have the same results or if there’s another trouble we need to solve.) Thanks very much for taking the time to do it!

Finally, let me inform you that the Model Update feature will be different and more enhanced. In any case, thanks very much for your bug report. We will verify if the problem occurs in the enhanced Model Update version then. CR # 33 606.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka

The answer to the Question 1 is:
The PK loaded properly.

The answer to the Question 2 is:
Um… I am not sure what shall I do, If I done it wrong could you explain a bit more.
What I did is, I opened up the model that I already got, then I reverse engineering it to a new workspace, then I click on my old model and click on “Model-> Merge then select RE MS SQL 2000” then I select the entities that I modified from SQL SERVER database-> OK"

Then the RE SQL Server 2000 more that I just created has gone ( All the model inside disappeared), and It did not update the existing model that I got.
If the process I did is wrong, please give me some more instruction instruction.

I have an suggestion for Model Merger, I think it would be better to have an select All button or check box allow user to change all the field, so that they do not need to check each of the check box if they want to merge large amount if entities.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Chi,

Thanks for the details.

Yes, the process you did is correct.

To sum up:
Old model = Model A
RE model = Model B

1. You opened both models in WS, activated Model A, selected Model | Merge.
  2. From the Merge with combo-box, you chose Model B, and selected the modified entities*. (You left the Create New Model checkbox empty.)

Accepted result:
Model Merger dialog should close. Model A should include the modifications.´

========
I’ve tested the merge functionality on standard models (not RE) and it worked properly. In any case, we will be dealing with this issue, and will further test it.

• I think it would be better to have an select All button or check box allow user to change all the field, so that they do not need to check each of the check box if they want to merge large amount if entities.

Right-click selected node (e.g. Entities) and click Select All Nested Items (of the Tree).

All the model inside disappeared, and It did not update the existing model that I got…
One note on this.
You write you modified entities (possibly created new ones in Model B?). Now see the Model Merger dialog. See the node Workspaces/Workspace/Shape List and node Entities.

If you selected only entities in the node Entities for the merge, the entities were added to the model, however you did not see them in the WS (- their shortcuts were not created). Check out the Model Explorer to see that the entities are in the model.

To see the entities in WS, you need to select the entities checkboxes in the Entities node and Shape List node too. (shortcuts will be created)

Well, possibly this information will help a little.

In any case, Model Update (which is RE + Model Merge) features will be more enhanced and significantly changed. All the troubles you report here will be tested in the new version of these functions.
Thanks for your help!

Vladka