Toad World® Forums

Problem with latest update - referential update is ruining my queries

In the last update I believe you forced a ‘visualise query’ when saving (presumably because the query was remembering previous versions of the query based upon the diagram).

While this is an excellent idea I’m finding that it is wrecking my queries.

I have several queries that do pretty much the same thing but with different parameters. I am also using the built in ’ ’ /Last month/ functions.

When I open the query and try to run it - it fails. When I check the SQL it appears that the function for last month has dissapeared.

I re-enter the function and run the query - excellent works fine !!

I try to save the query

A pop-up informs me that I need to visualise the query first. I do so and save the query.

When I re-open the query not only has all my SQL disappeared but it has removed links from my original tables in the diagram view

Help - this is causing me lots of problems and I’m having to waste time re-building the queries from scratch.

Hi

Could you please provide us a little bit more information?

What Database do you connect to?

What happens with the query when you press Visualize Query button before saving it? You should check the query tab.

Example of queries you have on query tab.

Does the query tab contain only one query or several queries?

Could you send us DDLs so we can recreate the tables?

Thank you

Aleksey

Thanks for your reply

The database I am connecting to is a SQL Server one.

My process is as follows:

Existing query edited with TDP date format
SQL Executed succesfully
Try to save the file and get message ‘The diagram is not synchronized with the statement. Please synchronize the diagram with the statement using Visualize Query button or update the statement from the diagram.’
Click on OK
Click on Visualize Query
Error message generated
Click OK
Save file
'Do you want to save results?
Yes
Close query
Quit TDP
Restart TDP 3.5
Re-open same query
Error message generated
Click on OK
Click on Query tab
Now BLANK!
Click on Diagram
It appears that diagram is corrupt also - one of my links is no longer connected

I have attached a similar query (the only difference being the filter ‘VMHost-net’ being ‘VMHost-disk’ and using ’ ’ /Last month/ instead of the gregorian one) - this was the starting point.

I have also attached a notepad file contatining the two error logs and

The resulting query once it has all gone horribly wrong!

Hope you can help :slight_smile:
Files.zip (20.2 MB)

Hi ,

Thank you for providing information. Could you please send us the following additional information?

Is the following sequence correctly describing the process?

1. Open a Query Builder file
  2. Edit the query
  3. Execute the query
  4. Press the Save button
  5. Get message that the query has to be synchronized
  6. Press Visualize Query button
  7. Error Message generated- what error message?
  8. Save file.
  9. Restart TDP
  10. Open the QB file
  11. Get error message
  12. The QB file/query is corrupted
    Is the issue reproducible?

Could you attach the file from step #1?

How many queries do you have in the file initially?

Step #7 – what error do you get?

Step # 11 what error do you get?

Could you attach DDL script to recreate tables that are used in the queries?

Thanks for helping us to make TDP better

Aleksey

Hi,

I was able to restore the queries from your files.

But I still don’t know how it happened so your help will be appreciated .

Regards

Aleksey
queries.txt (2.87 KB)

I am having the same issue. Is there a setting so I can edit a query in Query Builder and not have to refresh the visualization? I need to be able to start queries in the diagram portion and then revise them in the query part without getting errors.

Hi,

I am sorry but there is no such setting. Query Builder is a graphical tool to visually create queries and even it allows editing the query it’s not a tool for manual editing. Query Builder has to keep the diagram and the query in synch.

You can send a query from Query Builder to the Editor and edit it there.

Regards

Aleksey

Any progress with this?

Hi,

Sorry but we cannot reproduce the issue.

Could you please provide additional information I asked April, 11?

Regards

Aleksey

I sent you a reply on 16th April - I will resend

Have you sent the reply?

Regards

Aleksey

I’ve sent it twice!! I can only assume that your spam filter is being a little picky. Will it allow zip file attachments?

Tried a third time :slight_smile:

I am sorry but I have not recieved your e-mail.

Could you please sent it directly to may e-mail

Aleksey dot Bazhenov at software dot Dell dot com

Thank you

Aleksey

Thanks for persevering with this Aleksey. Sent to your Dell address as requested

New to using this version of TOAD- older Toad for Data Analyst 2.5 did not VISUALIZE. Every time I try to save a query I get this Visualize error.

Hi Stephen,

Could you please provide more information and correct me if I am wrong?

You use Toad for Data Analyst version 2.5 and it does not VISUALIZE. What does it mean did not VISUALIZE? What happens when you try to VISUALIZE?

What error do you get when you try to save a query?

Could you please try the latest version to check if it has this error?

Thanks

Aleksey

In my older version I would create a query and edit the sql. When I saved it, I never got an error message about VISUALIZE. I am trying to use the Dell Toad Data Point 3.7 and when I try to save a query I get this screen that comes up (se screen shot). I do not understand the purpose or why. I cannot save a query as I cannot get past this. I click on Visualize as directed, have to reenter my sql, click on SUM run this Visualize get another screen and then failed. I do not need or want it to ‘Visualize’. I never had this problem (or this feature) in Toad for Data Analyst 2.5. BTW- the same query (attached in txt) works perfectly in 2.5

From: Aleksey Bazhenov [mailto:bounce-AlekseyBazhenov@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:24 PM

To: toaddatapointbeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Point - Beta Discussion Forum] Problem with latest update - referential update is ruining my queries

RE: Problem with latest update - referential update is ruining my queries

Reply by Aleksey Bazhenov

Hi Stephen,

Could you please provide more information and correct me if I am wrong?

You use Toad for Data Analyst version 2.5 and it does not VISUALIZE. What does it mean did not VISUALIZE? What happens when you try to VISUALIZE?

What error do you get when you try to save a query?

Could you please try the latest version to check if it has this error?

Thanks

Aleksey

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad Data Point - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad Data Point - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Stephen,

The diagram and the query have to be in sync when QB file is saved.

If you changed a query then the changes have to be propagated back to the diagram and the Visualize does this. Otherwise we’ll have two different queries (one from diagram and another from editor). How could we know which one to use when we open the file? This is particular important when the file is opened on a different PC with different set of connections.

Sometimes we cannot parse all changes in the query (even when the query is correct) and we bring up a warning so you have to fix it. In the most case it happens when column list is changed. But in any case the diagram and the query have to be synchronized before saving the file.

So I suggest to edit a query through the diagram. If you’d like to make manual editing then you should use SQL Editor and save the query as a text file.

What did you changes in the query with the date format? I don’t see your attachment with the query.

Could you post a screenshot with the changes?

It looks like you have the same warning about Visualizing with TDP 3.7 but do not get these exceptions. Is it correct?

Regards

Aleksey

I am running this against an Altiris database. At this time, both my organization, Office of Information Technology and the Office of Public Defenders are on a shared setup of servers. Often I need to filter out their products from my own. To that end, I added:

Where Name not like ‘OPD%’ which then gives me only my OIT results. This was in the text file I attached to previous email. I’ll attach again

I do not see that I can add a where statement in the diagram so this makes no sense to me. Why can’t I just save the query as I have constructed it? This was not a problem in my older TOAD 2.5 and it seems this feature has caused others the same issue.

From: Aleksey Bazhenov [mailto:bounce-AlekseyBazhenov@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:47 PM

To: toaddatapointbeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Point - Beta Discussion Forum] Problem with latest update - referential update is ruining my queries

RE: Problem with latest update - referential update is ruining my queries

Reply by Aleksey Bazhenov

Hi Stephen,

The diagram and the query have to be in sync when QB file is saved.

If you changed a query then the changes have to be propagated back to the diagram and the Visualize does this. Otherwise we’ll have two different queries (one from diagram and another from editor). How could we know which one to use when we open the file? This is particular important when the file is opened on a different PC with different set of connections.

Sometimes we cannot parse all changes in the query (even when the query is correct) and we bring up a warning so you have to fix it. In the most case it happens when column list is changed. But in any case the diagram and the query have to be synchronized before saving the file.

So I suggest to edit a query through the diagram. If you’d like to make manual editing then you should use SQL Editor and save the query as a text file.

What did you changes in the query with the date format? I don’t see your attachment with the query.

Could you post a screenshot with the changes?

It looks like you have the same warning about Visualizing with TDP 3.7 but do not get these exceptions. Is it correct?

Regards

Aleksey

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad Data Point - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad Data Point - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.