production environment - production

Just a general question, as i m a newbie. As a best practice, I imagine that we should be doing our programming in the development environment, then optimize the code using Toad, and go through the other steps, and then promote to our test environment….and then the production environment. If we are using Toad in the production environment, I imagine that this is not encouraged as it may affect the system performance for end users. Do you agree?

Answer is “it depends”.

DBAs use Toad all the time on their production databases in order to perform change management, alter objects as necessary, diagnose issues, track sessions, etc.

Pretty much any product that connects to Oracle (even command line, like SQL*Plus) will be creating some amount of overhead on the database. Bottom line is that certain types of activity are more expensive than others. Example: running a 2-hour-long script within Toad’s editor to refresh analyze stats on all tables, or reorganizing tablespaces, etc. will put more overhead on the database than, say, having Toad reverse-engineer the DDL for a few objects.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for writing in.

As Gary says, DBAs use Toad all the time in prod, but you do have to be a little careful as you would using any IDE. Toad provides some safeguards to help minimise the likelihood of doing something bad unintentionally! Coloured connections is a start so that windows you use against a prod database could be coloured red, for example. Toad also gives you a way to view the SQL prior to a DDL change.

You can also make a connection to a prod database read-only by setting the connection properties in the Toad Connections window before you connect.

For more information on how to get the most from Toad and explore all the features to support your job, check out our FREE web-based training classes here on Toad World.

Thanks,

John