Toad World® Forums

Quest ER Diagramming report Generation Issues

• Please consider what you have now is good, but needs improvement such as:
  1. That when a user wants to select a Workspace then that and only that Workspace is reported. BECAUSE sometimes the information on certain dbo(s) (i.e. tables) in a database are meant to be secure.
  2. When you select Generate All ER Diagrams (all workspaces) then it does the entire database. So the choice of a Select Workspace for ER Diagram is illogical, thus confusing
  • The ability to exclude workspace(s) would ALSO be important because then the you could secure a workspace, such as would be the case for secure dbo(s) or those under development.
  • Note: It is understood that you must select both Generate ER Diagram in order to get any ER Diagram
    TDM team… This is important !! When I create a report I can select the Workspace for the ER Diagram… Which is correct What I am expecting is a diagram on the Workspace which is on my end a functional area of the tables and views. Meaning If I want to diagram the Billing tables is have created a Workspace in the model for BILLING. Sooo, when I generate a report I get the BILLING ER diagram, but I also get the whole schema of Entities, Attributes, Indexes, Key, etc. WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR was a breakdown of the Entities, Attributes, Indexes, Key, etc., just for that Workspace. I went back into the report menu and choose to Generate ER Diagram & Generate All ER Diagrams (all Workspaces)…. Now the inclusion of all the Entities, Attributes, Indexes, Key, etc., makes reporting sense. Bottom Line… Please let me know if this has been reported and if now if you understand what I have being trying to say here.This issue has been posted on the community. Hank FreemanContract Data /Systems Architect | Video Gaming SystemsScientific Games International
    image002.jpeg

Hank,

thank you for your feedback. Generation of reports for selected WS is available in the current BETA version of Toad Data Modeler. Please feel free to download and install it.

Thank you once again,

Regards,

Vaclav

TDM - Dev Team

Please re-read the original request and you will see this comment take from same…

Sooo, when I generate a report I get the BILLING ER diagram, but I also get the whole schema of Entities, Attributes, Indexes, Key, etc. WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR was a breakdown of the Entities, Attributes, Indexes, Key, etc., just for that Workspace.

**This is an important issue and if it is not understood, please let me know and I will restate it in a different manner.

Hank Freeman
hfreeman@msn.com**

Hello Hank,

There were some improvements in the Report Wizard, step Options in Beta 3.4.1.5.

Let me explain on examples:

A. You want to generate ER diagram for the selected WS (BILLING) and also only for the objects that exist on this WS.
Please do the following in the Report Wizard | step Options:

1. From the Select Workspace box, select the WS (BILLING).
  2. Clear the Generate All Model Objects checkbox.
  3. Select the Generate ER Diagram checkbox to generate the ERD (it’s selected by default).
    Result: ER diagram of BILLING WS + objects that exist on the BILLING WS will be generated in the report.

I think this is what you require. If I’ve misunderstood, please write me back.

Other possibilitites:
B. You want to generate ER diagram for the selected WS but include all model objects in the report:

1. From the Select Workspace box, select the particular WS.
  2. Select the Generate All Model Objects checkbox.
  3. Select the Generate ER Diagram checkbox (it’s selected by default).

C. You want to generate ER diagram of all Workspaces and also all model objects:

1. From the Select Workspace box, select All Workspaces. Notice that the Generate All Model Objects checkbox becomes disabled. (In other words, TDM does not allow you to clear this checkbox now.)
  2. Select the Generate ER Diagram checkbox (it’s selected by default).

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka