Toad World® Forums

Question about Attribute ordering

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to change the order of the Order of the Attributes, I knew that we are allow to use the sort facilities to sort the Attribute in Alphabetical order, Would it be possible to allow use to drag and drop or some other button to place the attributes into the order we want? I think it would be very useful for some massive table.

Another question I would like to ask is, would it be possible to choose how we wants the Entities/objects order on the workspace, E.g. By Alphabetical order, size…etc? It would be very useful for user who do not want to use the physical model explorer and to use the Overview feature to find the entities that I would like to modify. I understood that the Objects on the workspace is order by the size of the object after reverse-engineering.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more,

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. Sorting attributes
    Chi, please write us where you like to sort the attributes this way. Do you mean in Model Explorer, under particular entity? Or do you think of some kind of Attribute browser… etc.?
    Thanks for the details.

2. Options to order entities in WS
    At the moment the entities are ordered by the algorithm of autolayout, which is that the relationships cross each other in the LEAST possible way.

If you do not want to use Model Explorer to find a shortcut of an object in WS, please feel free to press CTRL + F and use the Find function (also Edit menu | Find).

If you have any remarks, please write us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka

Sorry about my bad English,

1. About sorting Attributes, what I am trying to say is to modify the particular Attribute’s order, like I would like to move field “A” above field “C” and field “D” behind field “H” on the Entities’s dialog, under Attribute tab, which also apply on the Entity model on the Workspace, In MS SQL Database, we can re-order the order of the attribute by doing drag and drop, which make life easier as some field is less important than the other, so I would like to move it to the bottom of the Attribute list…etc

2. If I have a Massive database, which contains a lot of tables, I may not be able to remember the whole name of the tables, at the moment the Find facility is not as good, E.g. you cannot search for contain’s word. E.g. You cannot search for suffix of the string/object.

It would be better if TDM could provide more powerful search facility, E.g. Allow user to search for the Object name, as well as the field (as a option) E.g. User may have a specific field on a specific table, so that they can find the table by searching for that field (Just in case they may forget the name of the object)
Another thing is allow user to search contain words, E.g. at the moment I cannot search for “tbl_users” when I type the string on the search box as “users”, because the start of the string does not match.

I think it maybe useful to provide different option for user to choose how they would like the auto-layout works.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Sorry about my English is not good.

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

Your English is fine.
It is me who sometimes have “eclipse of mind”. (sometimes?? :slight_smile: )

Anyway, it was clear that you meant sorting of attributes in Entity Properties form. Now, you can use only the green arrows to order the attributes manually.
Request to drag&drop them to reorder them - yes, it’s already been raised and is registered under CR # 44 446, status still Open.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Just a tip on movie “Order Attributes…”
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1677&categoryID=158

However, I guess you already know…

Chi, please try to use this search string - example: “*user” or “?user”.

• for unlimited number of characters,
      ? - for one character.

Is that fine?

Thanks,

Vladka

Hi Chi,

Let me go back to this question of yours:
“Another question I would like to ask is, would it be possible to choose how we wants the Entities/objects order on the workspace, E.g. By Alphabetical order…?”

Please find attached an add-on package that my co-worker Petr made for you.
The package sorts all shapes on all workspaces of particular model alphabetically.
Important note!: If you make changes in the model and save it then, the new layout will be saved as well. It will not be possible to reset the previous layout. You would have to rearrange the shapes manually or via the standard layout function.

Please test the add-on package on a sample model to see if it helps you and meets your requirements. Thanks.

Instructions:

1. Close TDM v3 Beta.

2. Copy the attached .txg file to the same location where your user package My Package.txg is. Default path is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler Beta\Packages{DCB5CB9B-CF65-4350-86B5-285D246FC5AC}

3. Run TDM v3 Beta and open the model where you like to change the layout.

4. Just for sure, open the Package Explorer (Expert Mode must be turned on) and see the Alphabetic Autolayout package.

5. Select Model | Model Properties. On tab General, see the Alphabetic Autolayout button.

6. Press the button. All shapes on all workspaces of the model will be ordered alphabetically.

7. To see the change, close all designers of all opened workspaces of the model and reopen them.

======
Other notes: Options to quickly find an entity that you like to edit - Summary:

1. Edit any entity in WS and from the Object Navigator box find the one you like to edit. The entities are sorted alphabetically there.
  2. Select Model | Entities. In the Entities dialog, click the Name or Caption column to sort the entity names. Find the particular entity and double-click it.
  3. In Model Explorer | Entities folder. Find the entity and double-click it. To see its shortcut in particular WS, see the shortcuts folder of appropriate entity and double-click the selected shortcut.
  4. Press CTRL + F, enter entity name, define other options, use search strings “*” or “?”. The entity will be highlighted in the WS, double-click it to edit it.

If you have ANY questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team
Alphabetic Autolayout.txg (6.22 KB)

Hi Vladka

Thanks for your information, I will try it out later = )

Many thanks

Chi

O.K. Fine, thanks.

Just a quick note:
I’ve added the add-on to our community Library at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1902&categoryID=34

Regards,

Vladka

Hi

I am not quite sure how the plugin work. I downloaded it and unzip and place it inside the package folder under Toad Data Modeller.

I can see the Alphabetic_Autolayout on Package Explorer. When I go to Model -> Model Properties I can see it too. After I click on the button
“Alphabetic AutoLayout”
It display “Autolayou for workspace “Workspace1” is running.” on the Message Explorer

it missed out a “t” on the autolayout.

I followed the instruction and closed on of the model and repen it, nothing get changed (in terms of layout, orders…etc) on my reverse-engineering model.
The Shapes do you mean entities?

Do you know if I have missed some steps? I am using BETA 3.2.1.12 and placed the script file on
\users\Chi\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler\Packages{DCB5CB9B-CF65-4350-86B5-285D246FC5AC}

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

it missed out a “t” on the autolayout.

Yes, we know about the typo.

I followed the instruction and closed on of the model and repen it, nothing get changed…

Please close Designers of your Workspaces, in other words, close the workspaces, not your model, and open the WS again. If you close your model, save it before you close it.

Please let me know the result. Thanks.

Vladka

Hi Vladka

Thanks it works now, I just missed out a step.

I have to make little changes to the model. E.g. move an entity slightly. Otherwise TDM do not allow me to save the model. After that It works.

It would be even better after running the script if will reload the workspace, so that you can see the changes immediately.

Thanks a lot

Chi

Hi Chi,

Happy to hear it works now. :slight_smile:

It would be even better after running the script if will reload the workspace, so that you can see the changes immediately.

Yes, unfortunately, at the moment the designer of the WS needs to be refreshed. So, close/reopen is necessary. (… will work on this… :wink: )

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

Vladka