Toad World® Forums

really large data model

I reverse engineered our SQL Server database into TDM 3.0 and the resultant data model was 15MB!..

None the less, TDM was slloooowwwwww…our data model has about 636 entities and several thousand attributes and foreign keys.

Also, after I saved the model, and tried to reopen TDM, it locked up my machine. The only thing I could do to reload the model, was to move the model to another directory on the disk, open up TDM, and watch the errors…Then close TDM.
After that, search for the model, and load it with TDM. At this point, it was off to get a cup of coffee…(actually 3 cups of coffee were drank before the model loaded…)

As it was loading, I opened up the Task manager, and TDM used 160MB of memory, and had about 450,000 page faults…hmmm…

Any suggestions?

Hi

I got similar problem as well, I have got some problem to load up physical model
explorer when I modelling database which has 100+ table and 70+ views.

I am wondering if any enhancement could be done to reduce the memory usage, e.g. switch off some feature, e.g. I turned of the hints option. “Setting”–> “Options” -->“Application”–>“General” -->"uncheck Show Hints in Designers. Maybe reduce the number of undo steps as well. I am not sure if it could reduce the amount of resource it use, I hope it help little bit,

I would suggest you to close the model whenever you exist TDM. Otherwise, whenever you want to load TDM, it will take a while, as it will load up any model that were on the workspace before you shut down TDM. Although you still need to load the model again when you want to use it.

I hope this help little bit. I would be grateful, if you have anyway to reduce the use of resource by TDM.

Sorry about my language, hope you understand what i say.

Many thanks

Chi

Hi Tom and Chi,

We’ve been still working on speeding up the application. I hope you have noticed some significant ‘speed change’ between previous and current Beta.
In any case, we keep working hard on this and will. At the moment only xml format is available, however, let me inform you that other formats are also planned.

Tom, yes, we agree, the time of loading is pretty long in your case. We’d like to use your model for the testing purposes. Would it be possible? We’d appreciate it very much. If you can, please send it to: modeling@quest.com. Of course, it will be used for the testing purposes only. We think it shouldn’t take so long and our developers would like to check it out. Thanks in advance!

Chi, to your suggestion:

I would suggest you to close the model whenever you exist TDM.

Yes, this is a good idea. Thanks! Let’s specify your suggestion:
a) Would you like to have this option for all models? (Some kind of general checkbox applicable for all models automatically.)
or
b) Would you like to have this option for every single model? (To have a possibility to select this option for a particular model.)

Thanks for the details. I’ll enter it as a new CR then.

Thanks again both of you!

Regards,

Vladka

<<>I would suggest you to close the model whenever you exist TDM.

Yes, this is a good idea. Thanks! Let’s specify your suggestion:
a) Would you like to have this option for all models? (Some kind of general checkbox applicable for all models automatically.)
or
b) Would you like to have this option for every single model? (Tohave a possibility to select this option for a particular model.)>>

Hi

I would prefer option b, E.g. If we are working on a lot of small model, which may only take few second to open all of them when TDM start up,
If we use option “A”, in which it will close all the model when we close TDM, in which we may want to close several large DB model), It would be a bit of pain when we want to work on that small model again next time, then we need to open up all of them again. which probably take a bit longer and not that user friendly.

I would like to have some feature to allow us to select which of models do we want it to open when we start TDM again.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Hi Chi,

Thanks for the details. I’ve specified your request in our system.
CR # is 33 526.

Thanks again!

Vladka

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you…

I checked with my management and will need Quest to complete an Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) to send you the data model and a SQL database generation script (a sql file to gen the database). The generation script is for comparing the model against the currently running database (I’ve had issues there too, but have not posted them yet…)

Please send me a private message and include in it, the email address where I can send the NDA document. This way you can forward it on to your management…If your management can sign it and get it back to me, we will have the legal paper work out of the way…Then, I can get you a really large data model that pushes TDM 3…

Tom

Hi Tom,

I sent you a private message a minute ago. Thanks again for your interest in testing the BETA version!!!

Vaclav

I’m new to this forum, anyway
I have really big model which 900 tables and several thousand attribute + foreign key
etc.

Generation is not possible “out of memory” if try to make all.
If try one workspace at a time, (contains 10-20 entity) is working, but sometime hit
out of memory.

ON Pentium M 2G, 2G memory

Any suggestions ?

Hi TOSHI,

We’ve found that memory used by TDM (3.0.13.175) does not seem to be released until TDM is closed. You could try generating a few workspaces then closing/reopening TDM to do some more.

HTH
Malcolm