Toad World® Forums

Recalculation of workspaces after resolution change

Because I exclusively work with a notebook I change the display resolution quite often (docked vs. undocked monitor). TDM needs a lot of time to recalculate all open workspaces, that really is annoying. This takes too much time and I don’t understand why this is neccessary!? Even if the program is minimized TDM has this behaviour!
It would be much nicer if TDM did any recalculation only for an open and visible workspace…

Is there a way to stop the automatic recalculation? It would be fine to have a shortcut key to initiate workspace repainting manually if neccessary.

Kind regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Unfortunately, the graphics depends on the display resolution. If WS doesn’t redraw after you change the
resolution, it will be displayed incorrectly, which we think you will find more annoying.

Anyway, please write us how many models and WS designers you have open and how long it takes them to redraw when you change the display resolution (+values of the resolution). It shouldn’t exceed more than several seconds.
Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi Vladka,

currently I have 6 Models/Workspaces open. After resolution change I guess about 20 message boxes “Loading objects from Workspace” appears. There starts a lot of disk activity, a message box can stay over 5 seconds or pass below one second. About 15-20 seconds in sum.
And during switching from external monitor to both and back to laptop only, there are two resolution changes one after another, so I have to wait twice the time.

Why not doing the recalculation needed during reopening the application window and do nothing during resolution change event if the application is minimized?

Regards
Andreas

Hello Andreas,

We did some tests. If there are six WS open, the Loading… message is displayed six times. It all should be a matter of few seconds. If your workspaces are large, it can take longer, we are sorry.
Anyway, please write us information about your OS.

Why not doing the recalculation needed during reopening the application window and do nothing during resolution change event if the application is minimized?

Well, we are not sure if it would solve your problem. In any case, the redraw of WS must be done. In this case, it would be done later but you will have to wait the same amount of time. It might help only in situation when user experiments with the screen resolution, which means he changes it several times in a short time. However, this is not a common practice and it is better to close TDM during choosing the right resolution and then open it. Also, the question is how often users do this.

If you have any remarks, please write us back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi Vladka,

my models have 10 to 50 Entities. Some Models have 2 or 3 workspaces (showing parts of the big picture).

OS is Windows XP Prof.

Not recalculating when minimized would help, because monitor switching seems to yield to more than one resolution change one after another (perhaps a lenove notebook feature?). And this is done often working with a notebook.

So recalculating on reopening the minimized application would yield exactly to the only one recalculation that really is needed.

Closing and reopening TDM is really slow, so waiting would still be faster…

Regards
Andreas