Toad World® Forums

replay load from an oracle trace file

we have a 32-bit oracle 10gR1 production environment and want to upgrade to 64-bit 10gR2.
functional testing has passed, we cannot do large scale performance testing to check optimizer stability.
we would like to use bf to capture real dml and replay it on 64-bit 10gR2 test server.
a little testcase with 20 mb trace succeeded, but our application produces trace files for 500 sessions, producing large trace files (100 - 300 mb) at level 4.
is bf able to load and reply this amount of dml (bf seems to keep loaded dml in memory)?

Unless the trace has a small number of transactions per user scenario, I think BMF will have trouble playing it back, specifically because of the memory issue you referred too. There were some improvements in this area that were made in BMF 5.5.1, but I think you would have more success if you were able to limit it your test to about 100 user sessions.

Tracey

if we were to use more bf clients, could we overcome this limitation?

i’m sorry, i should have replied to your post…

if we were to use more bf clients, could we overcome this limitation?

It may help to spread the agents out onto more machines, but it will take a long time for the pre-iteration to complete and the test to start.

BMF allows for two ways to capture workload on Oracle – trace and FGAC. FGAC creates far smaller files and hence has less overhead. But if using trace, then
simply do NOT choose entire database but rather the schemas owning objects you want to monitor (not the sessions to watch, the owner – BMF will figure out what session based on privs and roles). Then in addition you can filter out things toward end of wizard
– such as don’t capture Spotlight monitor load since you will probably run same tool on target to measure improvements.

From: ronan.merrick [mailto:bounce-ronanmerrick@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:30 AM

To: bmf@toadworld.com

Subject: [Benchmark Factoryfor Databases - Discussion Forum] Replay Load from an Oracle Trace File

Replay Load from an Oracle Trace File

Thread created by ronan.merrick

Hi,

I am learning to use Benchmark Factory and I want to replay a load from one of our databases on a test database as part of an upgrade from 10g to 11g.

I can’t use the capture option from Load Scenario Wizard as there is a network problem so what I want to do is capture the trace files in Oracle itself and then import them.

It doesn’t seem practical to trace the entire database due to the size of the trace files this could generate. If you are doing something like this, do you just pick a certain number of sessions
representative of a typical workload on the database and trace them?

Thanks,

Ron

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Benchmark Factory - General
notifications altogether.

Benchmark Factoryfor Databases - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

PS – BMF capture allows you to do the trace without using a network share directory. I HIGHLY recommend not doing the trace manually and then manual import.
The capture/replay wizard automates like 90 steps you must do in correct order for everything to work right. If you do this manually – you are going to have great fun (not) and aint no one who will be able to assist further.

From: ronan.merrick [mailto:bounce-ronanmerrick@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:30 AM

Subject: [Benchmark Factoryfor Databases - Discussion Forum] Replay Load from an Oracle Trace File

Replay Load from an Oracle Trace File

Thread created by ronan.merrick

Hi,

I am learning to use Benchmark Factory and I want to replay a load from one of our databases on a test database as part of an upgrade from 10g to 11g.

I can’t use the capture option from Load Scenario Wizard as there is a network problem so what I want to do is capture the trace files in Oracle itself and then import them.

It doesn’t seem practical to trace the entire database due to the size of the trace files this could generate. If you are doing something like this, do you just pick a certain number of sessions
representative of a typical workload on the database and trace them?

Thanks,

Ron

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

As I said earlier about doing trace manually and then loading manually into BMF for reply – lots of work that the wizard can automate entirely for you. Only
way to work. No help coming when doing it manually.

For example lets say you want to trace 50 sessions, then you have tons of manual work to do – and then timing questions / issues. If you use the workload capture
/ replay wizard we automate and eliminate all those extra steps for you – and we work out all the timing issues and stuff.

As for objection we can’t do a network shared directory – fine – there is an option for wizard to do all the steps for you but one – which is just keep trace
files on db server and user will manually ftp them to somewhere where BMF can see them.

One last time – don’t subject yourself to doing workload capture and replay manually. There are many steps that must be done in right order – and we’re not
going to help when you do it manually and then run into those issues sure to happen …

From: damir.vadas_531 [mailto:bounce-damirvadas_531@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:14 PM

Subject: RE: [Benchmark Factoryfor Databases - Discussion Forum] Replay Load from an Oracle Trace File

RE: Replay Load from an Oracle Trace File

Reply by damir.vadas_531

Trace are in 99% session based.

For setting trace in session (and out of it, please look in

damir-vadas.blogspot.com/…/trace-for-rookies.html
as well as how to start trace in Toad Session Browser.

Damir Vadas

damir-vadas.blogspot.com

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.