Toad World® Forums

Report Wizard problems/ER

RTF reports.

ER: After I walked through the report wizard and pressed the execute button, the cursor didn’t turn to an hour glass (simlar to the model verify dialog ER report), but the ‘execute’ button did gray out (unlike the model verify dialog ‘verify’ button).

ER: When the report was done, I did a show on it and didn’t like the results so I modified some of the options for the report and executed it again. My report didn’t update so I changed a few more options. I finally realized that all subsequent report generations were being thrown on the ground as long as the report was open. If I closed the report and ran it into the same name again it updated the report.

Generating a report takes long enough that you don’t want to do it if your report isn’t getting updated. If TDM3 can’t write to the file because it is open, maybe you should prompt the user to close it. You shouldn’t just continue generating the report if it can’t go anywhere. It can get real confusing if you have multiple applications and windows open and you don’t even realize that you still have the report open.

ER: If the file exists, prompt to overwrite.

ER: It appears that the report options are getting saved the next time through the wizard, but the output file name is not.

ER: Reporting is so important to me that I would like to be able to save the set of options that I have selected for later retrieval. I may have several different report styles that I use and I want to keep them.

ER: Is there any way to specify the information that you want in the report? I’m getting the field names, but most of them are auto-wrapped because they don’t fit in the default report column name field size. How about output options for landscape versus portrait?

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback on report wizard.

1. Button issue - We will fix it. Thanks. CR # 36 802.

2. At the moment it works the way that before you start generating a new RTF (from scratch or modified), you should close the previous output file.

If TDM3 can’t write to the file because it is open, maybe you should prompt the user to close it. You shouldn’t just continue generating the report if it can’t go anywhere.

Yes. We will see what we can do about it. Thanks for your suggestions!
CR # 36 803.

If the file exists, prompt to overwrite.
Added to CR # 36 803.

It appears that the report options are getting saved the next time through the wizard, but the output file name is not.

Thanks for your notification! It doesn’t seem to work between steps Select File and Select Report. CR# 36 804.

Reporting is so important to me that I would like to be able to save the set of options that I have selected for later retrieval. I may have several different report styles that I use and I want to keep them.

Yes, this request has already been raised. ( CR # 35 452) We will deal with it in the future.

Is there any way to specify the information that you want in the report?

At the moment, you can modify default values for the report generation. - Set what checkboxes will be selected by default. However, you can’t modify it for particular model, but e.g. for all models of one db version, or db, report type… Please go to step Options in the Report Wizard, right-click the frame and select Default Values for Class.
If you need more details on how to modify the default values, please write me.

Concerning other options, yes, you can specify/remove/add options that you like to contain in the report. - via scripting. At the moment, we’re finalizing documentation where tutorial on this issue is included. Now I need to ask you for patience. Thank you.

How about output options for landscape versus portrait?

We will consider it. Thanks. CR # 36 806.

Thanks again for your time to share your ideas with us!

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi Vladka and TDM team.

Now I need to ask you for patience.

If I may, I’d patiently like to make a few more comments.

1. When generating the RTF reports, please have the RTF table header continue onto following pages. That way if you have a large number of tables or columns in your table, the RTF table header is included on the next page.

2. I’m pretty sure that there is a horizontal slider on the final page of the report wizard, but for the life of me I can’t grab it so that I get more than two lines of the log. I can use the mouse wheel or the slider to scroll through the log, but I would think that there is a horizontal slider so that I can make the message display larger than two lines.

3. The checkbox portion of the wizard has way too many options to figure out what you want. Can you make this last page tabbed with checkboxes for tables, keys (including indexes and relationships), user data types (including domains and dictionary types), procedures (including functions and triggers), etc. Or make it an expandable tree display.

4. Why is there an option to choose the workspace to report on when doing an HTML report but not for RTF?

Hello Bruce,

Again, you’re giving us great feedback! Thanks for all your remarks and suggestions!

1. CR # 36 870.

2. There is not the horizontal slider in wizards, which is really annoying. We will definitely deal with it. CR # 36 871.

3. Thanks for this great suggestion! We will see what we can do about it. CR # 36 872.

4. Let me explain that in HTML, you can generate only ER diagram for selected Workspace (only image of the ERD will be included in the report). In RTF reports, image of ER diagram is not contained, therefore this option is not available.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write me back. Thanks.

Vladka

Hi Vladka and TDM team,

For number 4, If the ER diagrams aren’t included in the RTF reports, I would have to has ask “Why not?”

The RTF will most likely be the hard copy output that I provide the customer and it would be helpful if the diagrams were included. I suppose I can generate the HTML, display it, right click on the diagram in the HTML, copy it and then paste it into the RTF file, but that seems like a lot of extra steps.

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to add

1. With two models open, when I run the report wizard, it reports on the first opened model rather than the model that is actively displayed.

2. Out of bounds error. I ran the wizard for an HTML report and accepted to defaults. See attachment.
    Rpt_wiz_err.doc (75 KB)

Hello Bruce,

First, I’d like to get back to this problem:

I’m pretty sure that there is a horizontal slider on the final page of the report wizard, but for the life of me I can’t grab it so that I get more than two lines of the log. I can use the mouse wheel or the slider to scroll through the log, but I would think that there is a horizontal slider so that I can make the message display larger than two lines.

Temporary solution until we fix it. - Clear the checkbox Show Log and select it back then. The horizontal slider will become available.

The RTF will most likely be the hard copy output that I provide the customer and it would be helpful if the diagrams were included.

O.K. We will try to figure it out. CR # 36 874. :wink:

1. I activate a model in AW, open report wizard, generate report and close wizard. - A report for selected model has been generated.
    I select the other model, open report wizard, generate report - a report for selected model has been generated.
    No problem occured.

However, possibly you have left the report wizard open and clicked the other model. This is not correct. The Report wizard has to be closed when you like to generate report for another model.
(Advantage of leaving it open - you can generate several reports, with different options, layout etc. for the same model.)

1. Yes, this is bug. We will fix it. CR # 36 875.

If you have more questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Vladka

Hello,

Here I’m with an update concerning the CR # 36 871.
Just to remind you:
“I’m pretty sure that there is a horizontal slider on the final page of the report wizard, but for the life of me I can’t grab it so that I get more than two lines of the log. I can use the mouse wheel or the slider to scroll through the log, but I would think that there is a horizontal slider so that I can make the message display larger than two lines.”

Please see the latest Beta 3.1.1.166. There is a horizontal slider in wizards, however it’s not visible at first sight.
Please open e.g. the Report Wizard and simply make any of the columns in the log area more wide. The horizontal slider will appear at the bottom of the log area.
Please see some examples in the attached pictures.

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Vladka

Hello,

Here I’m with an update concerning the CR # 36 871.
Just to remind you:
“I’m pretty sure that there is a horizontal slider on the final page of the report wizard, but for the life of me I can’t grab it so that I get more than two lines of the log. I can use the mouse wheel or the slider to scroll through the log, but I would think that there is a horizontal slider so that I can make the message display larger than two lines.”

Please see the latest Beta 3.1.1.166. There is a horizontal slider in wizards, however it’s not visible at first sight.
Please open e.g. the Report Wizard and simply make any of the columns in the log area more wide. The horizontal slider will appear at the bottom of the log area.
Please see some examples in the attached pictures.

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Vladka